Re: [Tiffany Grant Fanclub] Digest Number 548

  • Brian Jonas
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      I think the term you're looking for is "mature-themes" or something similar.
      I think much of the 2nd half of the series and the movies would be over a
      little kid's head. One wonder's what her reaction will be once she's old
      enough to watch the whole thing.

      Also, the reason for changing Detective Conan's title is a little silly. I
      don't know how you could reasonably argue trademark/copyright infringement on
      the name Conan. So can no other fictional character ever be named Conan?
      Sounds about as dumb as the whole "Spike TV" lawsuit. I haven't seen Case
      Closed because I don't have cable. Is the name just Conan, or could they have
      just simply added the family name onto the title rather than changing it
      completely? So when do they force Conan O'Brien to change his name?

      Brian

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:20:17 -0000
      From: t_ttara
      Subject: Re: Tif Update for 6-28-2004

      Very Cool!
      I didn't get an e-mail but I did how ever read the post here. :)
      That was a long e-mail but in much detail It was fun to read! By the
      way that Auska girl (young one) was super cute in the picture. I was
      a little worried if she watched NGE at her age, lol it could be a
      little to hardly-toned? I don't know the right word to use
      so.....lol hardly-toned....lol (make up your own)
    • akito01
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        Athough it hasn't been confirmed for certain (these legal matters
        are rarely discuessed in the open by the parties involved), the
        reason for the name change has more to do with Fox still having
        rights to 'Detective Conan'. You might recall a couple of years ago
        or so that Fox announced they aquired the rights to show 'Detective
        Conan' as part of their (still new) morning Fox Box lineup. That
        never came to be, since they shortly decided that the show was too
        violent for morning television. But, since they still had the
        broadcast rights, changes were necessary for Cartoon Network to air
        the show themselves (again, this gets tricky, because Fox would have
        gotten the rights from the original Japanese publisher, while
        Cartoon Network bought their rights to show the English version from
        Funimation -the closest comparison would be the situation with
        Macross and Robotech being held by different companies).

        All of this might be speaking out my own butt, but this is what's
        being talked about as the most reasonable explaination. The
        character is still called Conan in the English adaptation of Case
        Closed, so I'm not 100% sure if the Robert Howard Estate story is
        accurate (but, again, what the hell do I know, really).

        --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Brian Jonas
        <b.t.jonas@u...> wrote:
        > Also, the reason for changing Detective Conan's title is a little
        silly. I
        > don't know how you could reasonably argue trademark/copyright
        infringement on
        > the name Conan. So can no other fictional character ever be named
        Conan?
        > Sounds about as dumb as the whole "Spike TV" lawsuit. I haven't
        seen Case
        > Closed because I don't have cable. Is the name just Conan, or
        could they have
        > just simply added the family name onto the title rather than
        changing it
        > completely? So when do they force Conan O'Brien to change his
        name?

        > Brian

      • destonus
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004
          --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, akito01 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Athough it hasn't been confirmed for certain (these legal matters
          > are rarely discuessed in the open by the parties involved), the
          > reason for the name change has more to do with Fox still having
          > rights to 'Detective Conan'. You might recall a couple of years
          ago
          > or so that Fox announced they aquired the rights to show 'Detective
          > Conan' as part of their (still new) morning Fox Box lineup. That
          > never came to be, since they shortly decided that the show was too
          > violent for morning television. But, since they still had the
          > broadcast rights, changes were necessary for Cartoon Network to air
          > the show themselves (again, this gets tricky, because Fox would
          have
          > gotten the rights from the original Japanese publisher, while
          > Cartoon Network bought their rights to show the English version
          from
          > Funimation -the closest comparison would be the situation with
          > Macross and Robotech being held by different companies).
          >
          > All of this might be speaking out my own butt, but this is what's
          > being talked about as the most reasonable explaination. The
          > character is still called Conan in the English adaptation of Case
          > Closed, so I'm not 100% sure if the Robert Howard Estate story is
          > accurate (but, again, what the hell do I know, really).
          >

          > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Brian Jonas
          > <b.t.jonas@u...> wrote:
          > > Also, the reason for changing Detective Conan's title is a little
          > silly. I
          > > don't know how you could reasonably argue trademark/copyright
          > infringement on
          > > the name Conan. So can no other fictional character ever be
          named
          > Conan?
          > > Sounds about as dumb as the whole "Spike TV" lawsuit. I haven't
          > seen Case
          > > Closed because I don't have cable. Is the name just Conan, or
          > could they have
          > > just simply added the family name onto the title rather than
          > changing it
          > > completely? So when do they force Conan O'Brien to change his
          > name?
          > >
          > > Brian

          Yeah, I agree. If names were copyrighted material, we'd be out of
          them by now. The show's name is "Detective Conan", not "Conan the
          Barbarian Detective." He's not a barbarian, he's a kid who solves
          crimes. Brian's definitely right; there's no way you can argue that
          giving a character the same name infringes on a copyright; Misato
          would join AA before they could prove to a judge that they've
          violated one just because they named their lead Conan. The stories
          are very different, the characters are very different, the only thing
          they have in common is a name, something that's a dime a dozen. Take
          the name Sakura for example, and think of how many other characters
          have that name. (Okay, you can stop ticking them off in your head
          now), or Rei (I can think of two, but there's probably more). Names
          are a dime a dozen; what you're protecting with a copyright are your
          concepts and ideas about these fictional people who just HAPPEN to be
          named X, Y, and Z, not the fact that they're named X, Y, and Z.

          I now turn the floor over to Ms. Ruri Hoshino so that she can give
          her opinion on this issue.
        • Buckeroo
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
            --- destonus <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > I now turn the floor over to Ms. Ruri Hoshino so that she can give
            > her opinion on this issue.

            Ruri: Baka...

            I now turn the floor over to Ms. Akane Tendo to provide counterpoint.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Kiggy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
              An'ta No Bakaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

              *malletbonk*

              --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Buckeroo <buckfloyd@y...> wrote:
              > --- destonus <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > > I now turn the floor over to Ms. Ruri Hoshino so that she can give
              > > her opinion on this issue.
              >
              > Ruri: Baka...
              >
              > I now turn the floor over to Ms. Akane Tendo to provide counterpoint.

              > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • voiceofasuka
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
                Yeah, I agree that it is silly. When the character is changed into a
                little boy, he starts using the name Conan because he was a big fan
                of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur CONAN Doyle, so it has absolutely
                nothing to do with barbarians of any sort. And, yes, the Spike TV
                lawsuit was also absurd. Go figure...

                Tif

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
                  Yes. All very good points. I'm sure this also was influential. As I
                  also mentioned in my previous email, the character's name didn't
                  change in the show, but the situation I mentioned in my initial email
                  was something I discussed with the director when I was in the studio.

                  Tif

                  > Athough it hasn't been confirmed for certain (these legal matters
                  > are rarely discuessed in the open by the parties involved), the
                  > reason for the name change has more to do with Fox still having
                  > rights to 'Detective Conan'. You might recall a couple of years
                  ago
                  > or so that Fox announced they aquired the rights to show 'Detective
                  > Conan' as part of their (still new) morning Fox Box lineup. That
                  > never came to be, since they shortly decided that the show was too
                  > violent for morning television. But, since they still had the
                  > broadcast rights, changes were necessary for Cartoon Network to air
                  > the show themselves (again, this gets tricky, because Fox would
                  have
                  > gotten the rights from the original Japanese publisher, while
                  > Cartoon Network bought their rights to show the English version
                  from
                  > Funimation -the closest comparison would be the situation with
                  > Macross and Robotech being held by different companies).
                  >
                  > All of this might be speaking out my own butt, but this is what's
                  > being talked about as the most reasonable explaination. The
                  > character is still called Conan in the English adaptation of Case
                  > Closed, so I'm not 100% sure if the Robert Howard Estate story is
                  > accurate (but, again, what the hell do I know, really).
                  >

                  > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Brian Jonas
                  > <b.t.jonas@u...> wrote:
                  > > Also, the reason for changing Detective Conan's title is a little
                  > silly. I
                  > > don't know how you could reasonably argue trademark/copyright
                  > infringement on
                  > > the name Conan. So can no other fictional character ever be
                  named
                  > Conan?
                  > > Sounds about as dumb as the whole "Spike TV" lawsuit. I haven't
                  > seen Case
                  > > Closed because I don't have cable. Is the name just Conan, or
                  > could they have
                  > > just simply added the family name onto the title rather than
                  > changing it
                  > > completely? So when do they force Conan O'Brien to change his
                  > name?
                  > >
                  > > Brian

                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
                    I haven't even seen the show and the name Arthur Conan Doyle
                    immediately sprang to mind when thinking of real people named Conan.
                    That's a pretty logical reason to name a show Detective Conan. They
                    should have used the episode as evidence and fought to keep the
                    name. I would think it'd be case closed right there. ;)

                    Brian

                    --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, voiceofasuka

                  • EBelcher@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 8, 2004
                      And the Edogawa was based on a Japanese mystery writer, I think.