Re: Slayers Excellent. Oooohoohohohohohohoo!

  • Purrsia Press
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
      Actually, aside from Pokemon, Eric Stuart(Gourry)hasn't been in much
      any other anime titles in years. The last time I heard him in
      something else was the ungodly bad Labyrith Of Flames from CPM(and
      no, you're not allowed to say that you saw it and you thought it was
      good or funny or something contrary to it like that!). Veroinca Taylor
      (Ameila)on the other hand regularly pimps as Ash on Pokemon, but she
      still found time to be in shows like Captain Tylor, Space Pirate
      Mito, and others. Lisa Ortiz herself, aside from contractionally
      having to do the voice of seemingly every other female gym trainer on
      Pokemon, usually appears in alot of other shows like Comic Party, KO
      Beast and Maetel Legend. So aside from all that, it's not really as
      impossible to have them do this one-time production which is in
      itself only 30 minutes long. The fact that Freeman is in it isn't
      suprising! I'm shocked when I actually see an anime dub nowadays that
      he isn't in! Even in .Hack, he replaced the original voice of Balmung
      for some reason, even though his character's original interactive
      voice can still be heard on Vol. 3 & 4. He's such a whore!
    • vtr9kvictor
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
        I'm not allowed to say I liked Labyrinth of Flames? But what if I
        just want to argue as a Devil's Advocate?

        --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Purrsia Press"
      • Scytale@softhome.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
          > Actually, aside from Pokemon, Eric Stuart(Gourry)hasn't been in much
          > any other anime titles in years. The last time I heard him in
          > something else was the ungodly bad Labyrith Of Flames from CPM(and
          > no, you're not allowed to say that you saw it and you thought it was
          > good or funny or something contrary to it like that!). Veroinca Taylor
          > (Ameila)on the other hand regularly pimps as Ash on Pokemon, but she
          > still found time to be in shows like Captain Tylor, Space Pirate
          > Mito, and others. Lisa Ortiz herself, aside from contractionally
          > having to do the voice of seemingly every other female gym trainer on
          > Pokemon, usually appears in alot of other shows like Comic Party, KO
          > Beast and Maetel Legend. So aside from all that, it's not really as
          > impossible to have them do this one-time production which is in
          > itself only 30 minutes long. The fact that Freeman is in it isn't
          > suprising! I'm shocked when I actually see an anime dub nowadays that
          > he isn't in! Even in .Hack, he replaced the original voice of Balmung
          > for some reason, even though his character's original interactive
          > voice can still be heard on Vol. 3 & 4. He's such a whore!

          No, I agree, Labyrinth of Flames is lame.

          It's not whether or not they have the time to jump in a studio and do a
          voice, it's where they're located. Eric Stuart, Veronica Taylor, and Lisa
          Ortiz all live and work in New York. Crispin Freeman recently moved to LA.
          ADV's studios are in Houston, TX. So you'd have to gather the NY crew,
          Crispin, and the ADV folk (like Kelly Manison, voice of Naga, who is in
          Premium) together. Most likely gathered in Houston to use ADV's own studios
          (they have flown in actors on occasion). And no, I don't think using
          multiple studios for one piece of work is really an option. Certainly not a
          cheap one. So there would be traveling expenses, hotel expenses, the VAs
          would have to take time off from their current jobs and projects, all the
          legalities of the contracts, ... all for a 30 min short.

          I know Crispin really wanted to do the voice for Zel, and knowing him I'll
          bet he specifically made time to do this project. For the rest, I don't
          know all the politics involved, but I'm really not suprised they didn't get
          the original cast back.

          Scytale
        • Purrsia Press
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
            --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, vtr9kvictor
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I'm not allowed to say I liked Labyrinth of Flames? But what if
            > just want to argue as a Devil's Advocate?

            No! That's how bad it was!
          • Purrsia Press
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
              > It's not whether or not they have the time to jump in a studio and
              do a
              > voice, it's where they're located. Eric Stuart, Veronica Taylor,
              and Lisa
              > Ortiz all live and work in New York. Crispin Freeman recently
              moved to LA.
              > ADV's studios are in Houston, TX. So you'd have to gather the NY
              crew,
              > Crispin, and the ADV folk (like Kelly Manison, voice of Naga, who
              is in
              > Premium) together. Most likely gathered in Houston to use ADV's
              own studios
              > (they have flown in actors on occasion). And no, I don't think
              using
              > multiple studios for one piece of work is really an option.
              Certainly not a
              > cheap one. So there would be traveling expenses, hotel expenses,
              the VAs
              > would have to take time off from their current jobs and projects,
              all the
              > legalities of the contracts, ... all for a 30 min short.
              >
              > I know Crispin really wanted to do the voice for Zel, and knowing
              him I'll
              > bet he specifically made time to do this project. For the rest, I
              don't
              > know all the politics involved, but I'm really not suprised they
              didn't get
              > the original cast back.
              >
              > Scytale

              You're forgetting that its VOICE ACTING! They don't actually have to
              show up on location somewhere on the other side of the country. They
              could do the recording in NY for their part, and send the tapes over
              to ADV for the editing and mixing. Tiffany did her part in II over
              the phone for crying out loud!
            • Scytale@softhome.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                > You're forgetting that its VOICE ACTING! They don't actually have to
                > show up on location somewhere on the other side of the country. They
                > could do the recording in NY for their part, and send the tapes over
                > to ADV for the editing and mixing. Tiffany did her part in II over
                > the phone for crying out loud!

                Over the phone? I'm shocked that was allowed. I've done enough in the
                world of voice acting to know that it's going to sound very poor if its not
                recorded in a recording studio. We even tried using a makeshift recording
                studio once with all the sound-absorbing material we could find, and we
                still had to completely redo it. There's just too much trouble with
                backround noise and echoing and that sort of thing. I have no idea how it
                could have worked over the phone.

                As for having it done in NY and then sent down, I doubt that's really an
                option. You're either going to have to fly around the director or work with
                multiple studios, which would be a real mess. Not to mention the rather
                large cost of renting studio time. Yes, plenty of groups do rent studio
                time, but I'm guessing there would be additional costs in renting multiple
                recording studios.

                All the times I know of that ADV hired actors outside of Houston, they had
                the actors flown in. I doubt they would go through the trouble if it was
                viable to have them recorded elsewhere.

                Scytale
              • Shouryu
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2004
                  --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Scytale@s... wrote:
                  > >Tiffany did her part in II over the phone for crying out loud!
                  >
                  > Over the phone? I'm shocked that was allowed. I've done enough in
                  > the world of voice acting to know that it's going to sound very poor
                  > if its not recorded in a recording studio. I have no idea how it
                  > could have worked over the phone.

                  I second you in that it couldn't have worked over the phone. The VAs
                  don't simply recite lines blindly - they match them to the lip flaps
                  of the animation, which means that there is a considerable amount of
                  editing that goes on in the studio. Minor script changes, timing
                  issues, multiple takes for multiple interpretations. I can hardly see
                  Tiffany, or ANYONE in a serious VAing studio, taking direction from
                  David Williams over the phone. "No no, say it a little slower. Yes,
                  now stretch the second syllable of 'stupid.' On three, okay? One,
                  two..."

                  It pretty much HAS to be done in a studio, with the director and actor
                  in the same location, with the video running. If it's not done this
                  way, it turns out like poor Emily Hu in Evangelion: ReDeath (she
                  played Misato by way of a tape recorder).
                • Purrsia Press
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
                    Alison Keith played Misato in all the English dubs of Eva, ADV and
                    Manga.