Another Large Step

  • George Manley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2003
      Greetings from my part of the Asylum we like to call the acting
      industry.

      I know you haven't heard from me in a while because I wanted to stop
      getting up on my soapbox and crowing every time I took a baby step.
      I'm at a point to where I'm booking between 2-5 hours of booth time
      per month in anime and it was probably going to get irritating to pop
      open a bottle of champagne every time I got called for a character or
      did a walla session. However, believe me, it isn't getting old by
      any stretch of the imagination, but this is a club dedicated to
      someone else's career and deservedly so. I'm also happy for the
      support that club members have given to me on this ride, and that
      your club admin(s) have expressed their support for me doing so, but
      I figured it was going to get old quick if I started posting too much
      too close together. So, I thought I would make this latest update
      coincide with a VERY large announcement.

      A practical attitude held by many actors is to diversify their skills
      within the industry and broaden their educations to enhance their
      chances of getting employed within the industry on a full time
      basis. The advantages of taking this step are HUGE. Normally,
      industry employers are a lot more forgiving in hiring actors and
      their actors' needs to attend auditions or perform roles than say, a
      supermarket (No, really, I hired you to bag groceries, not run off to
      auditions...). Also, by practicing the "complimentary skills" of the
      trade in an environment where other artists work, there is a
      potential for the sharing of ideas, foster growth, change and skill
      which might not be exponential, but is definitely head and shoulders
      above working in most of the rest of the world. This is a move that
      an actor desires, treasures and hopes against hope for until all hope
      seems to be exhausted.

      So, after four days of gut-busting, throat-roaching auditions,
      several cups of throat-coat tea, ricola, and ice water with lemon
      juice, I was offered the management of Ham on Rye's latest Virtual
      Reality gaming theatre near the Johnson Space Center at a miniature
      golf course, laser tag, fun house and super arcade. Yesterday, my
      charges and I did six hours of demonstration of the game for about 25
      groups of gamers and the response was ECSTATIC. This system employs
      actors AND makes money... SHHHH... don't let the secret get out.

      So, after what seems to be a very short amount of time after doing my
      first gig 6 months ago, the entertainment industry is paying my bills
      and keeping the roof over my head. As the disclaimer goes, "Your
      results may vary," and I sure didn't expect an opportunity like
      this. And, the best part is, I can schedule myself to not be working
      when I have other projects booked, so there's virtually no
      interference with the rest of my acting career...

      Cuz it's still all about the anime, Baby ;)

      Again, my profound thanks for your support and encouragement, it
      really helps more than you know,

      George Manley
    • Kiggy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2003