[TiF] turtlodove's american front

  • Fernando Tude de melo
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 1999
      In turtlodove's american front, the america is divided between north
      and south,with the the U.S. alied to germany and the Confederaci to
      Britain and France.I do not know how the series is going to end, but i
      do not imagine how Britain and France can win or even fight the central
      powers to a stalemate in this alternate ww1 when Italy is neutral,
      there would not be american troops or money to keep the alies
      afloa,also Canada would be fighting for it's survival against the U.S.
      and because of that unable to send either troops or equipment to
      Europe,on the contrary,Canada would need shipments of heavy armaments
      from Britain.The Royal Navy woul be stretched to it's limits,keeping
      Germany blockaded, preventing an incursion of the German navy against
      homae waters or the trade routes in the atlantic, run a blockade
      against the U.S. navy to mantain Canada suplied,mantain it's vital sea
      routes open from atacks by american and german comerce raiders,fight a
      truly oceanic war against the U.S pacific fleeand etc.In a situation
      like that it would be veryn hard for an alied victory,how they are
      going to stop the german ofensive of 1918 without the american troops
      and no diversions on the italian front? I would loike to hear from you
      about that
    • P. Mergey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 1999
        Caro Fernando,

        > I do not know how the series is going to end, but
        > i do not imagine how Britain and France can win
        > or even fight the central powers to a stalemate
        > in this alternate ww1 when Italy is neutral, there
        > would not be american troops or money to keep
        > the alies afloa,also Canada would be fighting for
        > it's survival against the U.S. I would loike to hear
        > from you about that

        Your question is very specific, and more about historical points than
        general fictional ones. I do not have any answer to give, but I can invite you
        to send your question to Videssos, a mailing-list especially dedicated to the
        works written by Dr Harry Turtledove and managed by our co-subscriber here,
        Steven H. Silver. Take a look to http://www.egroups.com/group/videssos for more
        information. Hoping it will serve...

        Abraços,

        P. Mergey