[TiF] Re: A World Without Europe, Darwinia, La Porte des Mondes

  • Joao Barreiros
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 1999
      Subject: [TiF] Re: A World Without Europe, Darwinia, La Porte des Mondes

      > I've read recently about an american published book on UCHRONIA in wich
      Europe
      > misteriously disappear in 1912 to be replaced by an inhabited continent of
      the
      > same geography but with a tropical fauna.
      >
      > "Darwinia"
      > Robert Charles WILSON
      > Tor BOOKS, ISBN 0312860382

      Hello:

      This one is an extraordinary book and I recommend it heartily. But it's not
      really an alternate world book. Better named, it's a book about the end of
      times. An Omega point book. They all live in a virtual encyclopaedia
      universe corrupted by a gnostic virus. The corrupted files (in which all
      earth history is told) change themselves in an Europe transformed into a
      monstrous forest. In it's centre in an abyss in the form of a gigantic pit.
      Yes, the entry point of the gnostic virus...

      João

      Voila Club home: http://club.voila.fr/group/tif
      http://club.voila.fr - Simplifying group communications
    • Steven H Silver
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 1999
        Joao Barreiros wrote:

        > Subject: [TiF] Re: A World Without Europe, Darwinia, La Porte des Mondes
        >
        > > I've read recently about an american published book on UCHRONIA in wich
        > Europe
        > > misteriously disappear in 1912 to be replaced by an inhabited continent of
        > the
        > > same geography but with a tropical fauna.
        > >
        > > "Darwinia"
        > > Robert Charles WILSON
        > > Tor BOOKS, ISBN 0312860382
        > >

        > Hello:
        >
        > This one is an extraordinary book and I recommend it heartily. But it's not
        > really an alternate world book. Better named, it's a book about the end of
        > times. An Omega point book. They all live in a virtual encyclopaedia
        > universe corrupted by a gnostic virus. The corrupted files (in which all
        > earth history is told) change themselves in an Europe transformed into a
        > monstrous forest. In it's centre in an abyss in the form of a gigantic pit.
        > Yes, the entry point of the gnostic virus...

        Darwinia is currently a nominee for the Hugo Award.

        Voila Club home: http://club.voila.fr/group/tif
        http://club.voila.fr - Simplifying group communications
      • P. Mergey
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 1999
          > I've discussed it recently with Stan Robinson, and he's still writing the
          > book, "which involves a lot of research", says he. I'm not at liberty to
          > reveal more. If I can, I promise I will. :)

          Ok. Thanks for this announce. As you know Kim Stanley Robinson, do you agree
          with João who said that this book is not yet scheduled? I believe I read
          somewhere (maybe Forthcoming Books section in Locus) that he had sold this book
          to his publisher... Do you have some information ?

          Regards,

          Voila Club home: http://club.voila.fr/group/tif
          http://club.voila.fr - Simplifying group communications
        • Pierre-Paul Durastanti
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 1999
            Patrick Mergey wrote:

            > Ok. Thanks for this announce. As you know Kim Stanley Robinson, do you
            agree
            >with João who said that this book is not yet scheduled? I believe I read
            >somewhere (maybe Forthcoming Books section in Locus) that he had sold this
            book
            >to his publisher... Do you have some information ?

            I'm not sure it's not *scheduled*, I'm told it's not finished. Selling a
            book to an American publisher usually means selling a synopsis and a few
            chapters. Maybe Stan Robinson has a deadline, too, so the book could be
            scheduled even if not finished. So, yes, I'd definitely agree with João.

            I'm not at my usual place with my usual computer, but I'll try to get in
            touch with K.S. Robinson and ask. No promises, though. Those writers can be
            somehow touchy, you know. :)

            PP