Book talks and events: new book by Bob Gluck about Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi band

  • Robert Gluck
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012

      I’ll be giving a series of book talks, some with music, over the next two months, following the recent release of my new book, "You'll Know When You Get There: Herbie Hancock and the Mwandishi Band" (University of Chicago Press). Pat Metheny has written about the book: “With his exhaustive research and detailed interviews, Bob Gluck brings the nature and workings of this amazing and influential ensemble to life.”

      Coming up first will be an appearance on WAMC, on Joe Donahue’s morning show, Tuesday, September 11, 11am.

      Next will be talks and signings at The Book House, Stuyvesant Plaza, Albany, on Thursday, September 13, 7pm; and at The Chatham Book Store, 27 Main Street, Chatham, New York, on Saturday, September 15, 5pm. In Chatham, I’ll be playing some musical examples at the keyboard.

      In October, I’ll be giving two concerts of music from the band’s repertoire; the first is in Mt. Kisco, NY; and the second will be at the Woodstock Artists Association, Tinker Street, on Saturday, October 27, at 5pm. That will be a book talk/signing, followed by a quartet performance featuring Bob Gluck (keyboards), Christopher Dean Sullivan (bass), Tani Tabbal (drums) & special guest.

      For more information about these events, see http://www.electricsongs.com/shows.html

      For more about the book, see http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/Y/bo10327415.html

      Bob Gluck

      Pianist, jazz and electroacoustic music
      http://www.electricsongs.com

      Associate Professor of Music, University at Albany
      PAC 312, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222

      "You'll Know When You Get There: Herbie Hancock and the Mwandishi Band" (Univ of Chicago Press)
      FMR CDs: 'Returning' (2011), 'Something Quiet' (2011), 'Sideways' (2008)
      This fall: "Textures and Pulsations" (with Aruan Ortiz, Incus Records)

      “When you hear music, after its over, it's gone in the air. You can never capture it again.” - Eric Dolphy