It's an Uptown Summer!

  • Steve Pierce
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2011
      If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

      Share This:

      Sanctuary logo

      This Saturday (8/6)

      North Troy welcomes the Peace Pilgrimage for a Nuclear Free Future

      Peace Pilgrimage imageOn Saturday, August 6, help us welcome the "Peace Pilgrimage for a Nuclear Free Future" as the walkers pass through Troy on their journey from Boston to Albany.

      Beginning at 2 PM , there will be an outdoor program featuring speakers, music (including S.K.A.T.E., Taina Asili and Gaetano Vaccaro) and more in Freedom Square (a few doors up from the Sanctuary, where 5th and 6th Avenues meet 101st Street in North Troy).

      From 6-7 PM, there will be a potluck at the Missing Link Street Ministry (across from Freedom Square, at 3370 6th Avenue).  Bring a dish and join us for supper!

      The community potluck will be followed at 7 PM by remarks from the walkers.

      These events are co-sponsored by Missing Link Street Ministry, The Sanctuary for Independent Media, Uptown Initiative, Saratoga Peace Alliance, Women Against War, Veterans for Peace, Troy Bike Rescue and Collard City Growers. Troy Record story. Event details.

      Sanctuary TV

      Now online!

      Check out these great music videos on Sanctuary TV, featuring local guitarist Todd Nelson and his TN3.  They're the first of our new studio productions from the "Live From Lock One" series, with high definition video and multi-tracked audio:
      Hope you enjoy them (if so, lettuce no)! Visit www.MediaSanctuary.tv for even more!

      Youth Media Sanctuary

      Youths debut on WMHT!

      Did you know we've been working with local PBS affiliate WMHT-TV and the PBS series POV on a project for Adobe Youth Voices/Project VoiceScape? You can see some of the great work produced for the project at The Sanctuary for Independent Media by local student filmmakers, nowonline! And if you missed the interview with the filmmakers broadcast on WMHT last month, you can see it here (along with an awesome new animation by Sanctuary supporter Ryder Cooler).

      In touch!

      If you're not already on our email list, visit our website to join!

      For up to-the-minute information on the goings-on at The Sanctuary for Independent Media, follow us on Facebook!

      You'll find us on Twitter as well!

      Every day!

      The Uptown Summer continues

      Uptown Summer is a six week program for young people (ages 10-15) in the North Central neighborhood of Troy. Participants are gaining hands-on experience gardening in the Collard City Growers lot, fixing bikes and learning bike maintenance at the Troy Bike Rescue workshop, cooking in DIY SnackShops in the Missing Link Kitchen, and documenting their experiences through digital storytelling techniques with Youth Media Sanctuary. Uptown Summer unites resources and connects the sites of these four community programs, located within one block on 6th Avenue. Short video. Photo gallery. Details.

      Coming soon!

      Fall 2011 Sanctuary season

      We're working on the final details of our all-new Fall 2011 season, scheduled to begin on October 1. Among the featured events are Malian singer/songwriter Sidi Toure, ACLU president Susan Herman talking about the post-9/11 political climate and her new book "Taking Liberties," filmmaker Iara Lee with a screening of "Cultures of Resistance," and much, much more! If you're not already on our snail mailing list, send us your address to receive a printed copy of the schedule in the relative privacy and security of your own home!

      Volunteer at the Sanctuary

      New to the Sanctuary?  We are located a few minutes from I-787 in North Troy; check our directions from various points nearby.

      We love questions and comments.  Email us!

      If you'd like to volunteer, let us know!

      Support The Sanctuary for Independent Media with your secure online donation!

      Or send a tax-deductible contribution to:

      The Sanctuary
      for Independent Media
      PO Box 35
      Troy NY  12181

      We hope to see you soon!

      PO Box 35 3361 6th Avenue | Troy, NY 12181 US

      Network for Good
      EmailNow powered by Emma