Reminder - EAPS Event

  • tiena@onelist.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000

      EAPS Event

      Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2000
      Time: 8:00PM - 10:00PM EST (GMT-05:00)

      iEAR noiz �n trope presents: Scott Smallwood & Guests,
      electro-acoustic
      steel drum.
      Wednesday, March 8, 8pm, Albany Center Galleries (23 Monroe,
      Albany,
      462-4775), $5/3.

      Composer/Percussionist Scott Smallwood will present a concert of
      original
      compositions for the electro-acoustic steel drum and live
      electronics.
      The concert will feature his unique performance medium, the
      Trinidadian
      steel drum, configured with contact microphones and connected to
      computer running real-time signal-processing software. The
      music
      presented will include the new solo works "Patination" and
      "Viriditas:
      The Green Force," and will also include pieces by the
      experimental improv
      ensemble, Nyquist, featuring Smallwood, Joel Taylor on
      shakuhachi, and
      Seth Cluett on fretless electric bass.
    • tiena@onelist.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7, 2000

        EAPS Event

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 15, 2000

          EAPS Event

          Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2000
          Time: 8:00PM - 11:00PM EST (GMT-05:00)

          Sussan Deyhim performs "Vocodeliks II"
          (with lighting and imagery by l. collier hyams)
          Wednesday, March 22, 8pm, Chapel+ Cultural Center, $12/8.

          Vocodeliks II � an electronic vocal piece conceived, composed
          and performed
          by Sussan Deyhim.

          Sussan Deyhim, a Kurdish-Iranian performance artist, vocalist,
          and composer,
          is known for her hypnotic live vocals that are layered against
          complex
          electronic backgrounds of rhythmic patterns and percussive
          effects. Deyhim
          has studied Persian folk and classical music as well as Western
          classical
          vocal techniques. She has complemented this formal training
          with her
          extensive independent study of indigenous vocal traditions of
          Africa and the
          Middle East, particularly those relating to sacred trance music.
          Deyhim is
          one of the featured performers in Shirin Neshat�s video
          installation
          "Turbulent� and performs regularly with her band Majoun, which
          includes
          longtime collaborator Richard Horowitz and the drum and bass
          groove-masters,
          Doug Winbush and Will Calhoun.

          Cosponsored by the RCCA: The Arts Center, and the School of
          Architecture.
        • tiena@onelist.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 21, 2000

            EAPS Event

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 22, 2000

              EAPS Event

              Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2000
              Time: 8:00PM - 11:00PM EST (GMT-05:00)

              Tom Sherman and Bernhard Loibner performs in Nerve Theory:
              "Shades of
              Catatonia"
              Wednesday, March 29, 8pm, DCC324, $8/5.

              "Shades of Catatonia" is a scorching critique of today's 24X7
              commercial culture, the culture of utility and convenience where
              audiences
              are manipulated and assaulted by a tidal wave of psychological
              warfare
              waged by advertisers, broadcasters, studios, telecoms,
              governments and
              schools. Nerve Theory reveals the trauma and in its unique
              'news music'
              offers strategies for recovering minds incapacitated by Command
              Automatism.

              Loibner and Sherman have been dealing with the psychology of
              alienated,
              dislocated individuals in their collaborative voice/music works
              since
              1993. Bernhard Loibner is a composer, musician and political
              activist
              based in Vienna, Austria. Tom Sherman, based in Syracuse, NY,
              where he
              teaches media production and theory courses at Syracuse
              University,
              specializes in improvisational
              monologues for radio and live performance. Loibner and Sherman
              formed
              Nerve Theory in 1998.

              Co-sponsored by the School of Architecture.
            • tiena@onelist.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 28, 2000

                EAPS Event

                Date: Tuesday, April 4, 2000
                Time: 8:00PM - 11:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

                Vuk Cosic- "ASCII Artwork and Art in the Age of Internet"
                Tuesday, April 4, 8pm, iEAR Space, $5/3 (webcast)

                Cosic�s ASCII films "perform" the new status of media as
                digital data. The
                ASCII code that results when an image is digitized and displayed
                on the
                screen. The result is as satisfying poetically as it is
                conceptually for what
                we get is a double image, a recognizable film imge and an
                abstract code
                together. Both are visible at once: the code and the image
                coexist.

                "Curatorial decisions too often justify the hardware investment
                of their
                galleries and musea - artists choice of discarded media or
                technology and his
                investment in it's artificial evolution is one possible answer
                to this rhyme
                between tech
                industry and art world's vision of progress. One such practice
                is the
                Contemporary ASCII."-Vuk Cosic - new media archeologist.

                http://www.vuk.org/ascii/
              • tiena@onelist.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 28, 2000

                  EAPS Event

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2000

                    EAPS Event

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 11, 2000

                      EAPS Event

                      Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2000
                      Time: 8:00PM - 11:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

                      The Arts Department in "Embodied" a collaboration with the
                      School of
                      Architecture and Choreographer Elizabeth Streb.

                      Tuesday, April 18, 8 pm, Venue TBA (downtown Troy), $12/8

                      The Arts Department presents a showcase of work in progress
                      which was
                      developed in collaboration with Choreographer Elizabeth Streb;
                      members of the
                      PIP (Performance, Installation and Production) class; Composer
                      Curtis Bahn;
                      and Architects/Designers Frances Bronet, Stephanie Bayard,
                      David Reibe,
                      Brian Lonsway, Michael Oatman and Dennis Tanczos. Streb and the
                      Rensselaer
                      faculty will be on hand for a discussion with the audience about
                      the
                      experimental technology and creative process used in making
                      "Embodied".

                      This event is made possible through a gift from Marcia and
                      Christopher Jaffe
                      (RPI '49), and is co-sponsored by the School of Architecture and
                      the
                      Department of the Arts of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
                    • tiena@egroups.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 17, 2000

                        EAPS Event

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 19, 2000

                          EAPS Event

                          Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2000
                          Time: 8:00PM - 10:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

                          MFA Show: Concert and Exhibition
                          Wednesday, April 26, 5-10pm, view exhibitions from 5-8pm,
                          performances begin
                          at 8pm, iEAR Space and Gallery, FREE.
                        • tiena@egroups.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 21, 2000

                            EAPS Event

                            Date: Friday, April 28, 2000
                            Time: 5:00PM - 10:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

                            iEAR MFA Show in NYC
                            Friday, April 28, Engine 27, (173 Franklin St., NYC,
                            212-431-7466) FREE.

                            For directions and more information about EAPS please call:
                            518-276-4778.
                            http://www.arts.rpi.edu
                          • tiena@egroups.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 25, 2000