Selling magazine articles-Fiction & non-fiction

  • backwaterjon
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31 6:55 PM
      --- In ticket2write@y..., sthernantiquity@a... wrote:
      Please tell us more. Also, I'd love to read some of your westerns,
      but I am new to the group. Could you re-post them? Thanks for telling
      us about yourself. You've had quite a life. ~Chandler
      Chandler: As other writers here can tell you, either know the topic
      you are writing about, or have good documented references and
      interviews for non-fiction. I try to do my research BEFORE I get too
      deep into a piece.
      Why? No use to waste time writing an entire article to suit myself
      if no one will buy it.
      How do you know if someone will buy it? Research the magazines. Find
      out who publishes what. Have they published articles like what you
      want to write about? If so, pretty likely they'll buy one again IF
      you give it a different slant, or have new information about the same
      topic.
      Many magazine requirements you can find on line. And, often I do. But
      I still like to have a hard copy to hold in my hand and browse at my
      leisure when not on the net. Ask for their writers guidelines. This
      is a must for more reasons than merely letting you know what they
      seek. Their guidelines will give you an idea of what they will buy.
      But these guidleines are seldom written in stone. They are generic so
      long as you stay on topic, have a good hook, and give intelligent
      information writting in a style of reporting, in most cases you will
      sell your work.
      I find it better to first query. Why? Then you are not writing on
      speculation, you will be writing at their request even if you did
      first initiate the article idea. And, there are ways to write a query
      and ways not to. As your query, to an Editor is as much a statement
      of your professionalism as would be a personal reccomendation.
      If it isn't professional, your work or your query never should leave
      your hands. Especially in the computer age, with spell check and
      writing suggestions many spell checks offer.
      If it isn't professional, it won't get published anyhow, so why
      embarass yourself sending less than quality work?
      But that's just my opinion.
      I try to put myself in the Editors chair. I read my query from the
      frame of mind of what that Editor will actually see when she begins
      to read. Do you get her interest in the first sentence or two? If
      not, most times it won't be read much further. If it doesn't interest
      me two weeks after I have written a query, I re-write it until it
      does at least pique my curiosity.
      What I write often makes me shed tears. It has made me have a happy
      feeling, even laugh out loud. Or nod my head in agreement at the
      stated facts. Ocassionaly shake it, realizing that I have screwed
      up. For better for me to discover this, than she.
      Your query and your article must be as good as if not better than
      anything you have ever read on this subject. Filled with quotes, if
      it is that type of an article. So interesting she cannot put it down
      until she gets to: I would appreciate the opportunity of writing this
      article for>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>name the magazine....do't just say: For
      your magazine. That is too generic, and she knows that you may
      possibly even be sending it out to more than one.
      Slant your query so that it can not be judged as to be written
      generically. Let her see by your writing that this piece is for her
      magazine, and hers alone. and state enough facts and information so
      she will know that she simply must have your article. Her readers
      deserve it.
      That's a little bit of what I do. And each submission is presented in
      a professional manner.

      As far as reading what I have written, you can find them in a long
      list of publications under various names. While I do like a by-line,
      I am more concerned with payment, and I focus on getting as much as I
      can for my work. and while I'd like to tell you that I never give
      away my work, there are times and for certain reasons that I just may
      write some bit of fluff for non-payment. Or help a church out by
      writing a devotional or two to be put into a sunday bulletin. Or a
      letter to an Editor about smething I have read in their magazine that
      did not fit, or was not so. You have to make sure what you are
      writing is truth. Even in a fiction piece.
      Hope this helps.
      Jon Wood