A Graduate, in Despair...

  • rede2rollbaby
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2013
            A Graduate, in Despair.

      Perchance, this world of shadows, darkens his soul,
      as warmth, and luminance, of sunlight he bemoans.
      A denizen of the night, darkness now cannot extol,
      old memories harass an aging mind Society disowns.

      A misfit, a career offender, through a chequered life,
      delinquency followed truancy in logical progression.
      An apprenticeship for criminal adulthood and strife,
      Immaturity, is a callous aide, in any such profession…

      To youth money means all, crime seems an easy ploy.
      A wry smile comes with memories of his early years,
      Crime, then seemed wealth’s coffer, so easy to enjoy,
      he held no fear for retribution, later, came the tears.

      An apt pupil he had been, so keen to learn his trade,
      but to be indentured, for a lifetime, proved the cost.
      Protocol demanded, a pupil did, as the master bade,
      he was part of the family…with independence lost…

      A master’s apprentice must to grossest deeds ascend,
      the family creed, demands obedience to every request.
      Some are the heinous deeds conscience cannot defend,
      but death is the penalty for those who fail their test.

      A callous indifference, is accepted, more than learned,
      by all advocates of violence, those, of the brotherhood.
      Henceforth there can be no return, decency is spurned,
      the terms of obligation are now painfully understood.

      There are none show respect save those of common ilk,
      hierarchy of necessity demands unity within the ranks…
      Aloof in classic garb…tailored suits and shirts of silk,
      reverence is expected, without any modicum of thanks.

      Briefly worn the badge of office if one made the grade,
      for there is folly in assuming power renders one remote.
      Envy’s face lies hidden by a fawning mask of accolade,
      a smiling assassin awaits a chance, another to promote.

      These things the survivor remembers from scars he bears,
      life, is a lethal quandary, of which smiling face to trust.
      He recalls he has worn the mask his nemesis now wears,
      remembers too an odyssey of ambush and stiletto thrust.

      The rewards of sin are many, and unpalatable to a fault,
      a tired mind seeks retribution’s face within the shadows,
      Ahead lie cloistered turnings…voices call to him to halt,
      a graduate in despair, tarries, knowing not who follows…

      Maybe a world beyond the shadows may redeem his soul,
      restore the waning rays of sunlight some solace to supply.
      A sad denizen of the night, darkness, no longer can extol,
      memories, harass a sinner, when mind and conscience ally…

      Those callous eyes, aging has softened, along with intent,
      he sorrows for his offspring, with a shamed name to bear.
      Wary now of law and brotherhood, a fear without relent,
      there is no joy in achievement, for any graduate in despair…

      ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva…
    • Jay
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2014
        Bernard,