BACKWATER.

  • rede2rollbaby
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2013
        BACKWATER.

      It seems, we may have been considered different…

      and likely we were labelled, ‘backward, by intent’.

      Remote, from all the big city’s noise, and clamour,

      ours was then a simple life without a hint glamour.

      A placid sanctuary was a refuge from correctness,

      that malady prevented by honesty and directness.

      There youth uncovered so little devious to sample,

      for parents lived by the rules, then led by example.

      A backwater, which excluded Life’s turbulent flow,

      where the vaunted fast lane, ever seemed to slow.

      The predictable plague, one called progress, came,

      so isolation crumbled and life never was the same.

      It seemed, all respect now vanished…as had pride,

      as Life’s first stepping stones, sank below the tide.

      “The world owes us a living”, now a new catch cry,

      sees the elders weep, as young principles go awry.

      Social Media has now become ‘the order of the day’,

      the grand idea that was, that somehow lost its way.

      A forum, to exploit the more gullible traits of Youth,

      is a haven for all deviants who shun the moral truth.

      Perhaps, we should have continued being ‘different’…

      most likely we were better off, ‘backward, by intent’.

      Devoid, of the fast lane’s drama and patent clamour,

      nobody paid the unseen costs, of tinsel and glamour…

      ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2013

        Bernard my friend.

        It is a delight to see you back on board  with your inimitable sagacity of the world around us since Yahoo changed the format of t2w.

        Re: “Outback” aka upcountry; the sticks; the bush; the hinterland; a place with old-fashioned ideas; stagnation personified. To me it is a reminder of the ‘good old days’.

        Keats in his letter of 1819 wrote:

        “I go among the fields and catch a glimpse of a stoat or field mouse peeping out of the withered grass- the creature hath a purpose and its eyes are bright with it. I go amongst the buildings of a city and I see a man hurrying along-to what? The Creature has a purpose and his eyes are bright with it.”

         I live in ‘the sticks’ and when I saunter along the lane bordering my property I will bid good-day to any other human I meet on my walk. Trying the same greeting in the city and my words will most likely be viewed with distrust, even to the point of risking a charge of harassment.

        "Devoid of the fast lane's drama and patent clamour".

        I'm with you on that one Bernie

        As ever