It's not always as clear as black and white

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2013
      My friends of t2w
      I have lived in many parts of this world, living among people of differing skin pigmentation than my own and have never had cause to complain of their treatment towards me and I sincerely trust I have given no cause for them to complain of my treatment towards them.
      The partner of my own youngest granddaughter is from the sub continent of India and I have made him aware he is always welcome to share my table as long as he treats my darling granddaughter(on whom I dote) with respect.
      However, some old sayings which were quite acceptable pre WW2 are now giving reasons to bring charges of racism.
      The following is from a long-running soap opera in UK:

      In July 2013 the British Soap Opera Coronation Street featured the beginning of a storyline where character Paul Kershaw (Tony Hirst) was accused of racism by Lloyd Mullaney (Craig Charles) after using the phrase "Play the white man" during a game of darts in their local pub The Rover's Return. This sparked Paul to be accused of racism, with Lloyd's friends in the street siding with him, and both men refusing to back down due to differing interpretations of the phrase connotations.
      Actually during the darts match Paul aimed for double top to win.
      The dart landed in the double top bed but later fell out causing Lloyd to say it didn't count. Now we might say: "Come on be fair, it did land in the double top" but Lloyd disagreed, which is when Paul retorted "Play the white man"

      "Playing the White man" has always been construed as: Doing the decent thing; playing a straight bat. In fact giving no motive for others to challenge your actions.
      What, my friends is happening to this planet of ours, where the colour of a person's skin separates a society all of who are blessed with a brain, a heart and a body which places us on the highest
      rung of the animal ladder.

      I solicit your sagacious comments.

    • Jay Doggett
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2013

                        I think it’s down to the race hustlers, the men who cynically use race as a means to wealth and power. Alas, there are many gullible souls taken in by these charlatans. I can see how that phrase might upset people of color. They have been hyper sensitized to the issue by evil people, to the point where a group here got upset, not too long ago, over the use of the Astronomical term “Black Hole.” Seems ignorance has no limits.

        Jay

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013

          Right now, many of us are exhausted by all things racial in this country. I try not to ever question our Creator, but sometimes I wish he had chosen one nice shade and hue for all of humanity, eliminating color as a factor for discrimination, but I know humans would just find some other ways to divide and conquor.

          I am proud to be an American and I love and respect my fellow citizens, regardless of differences, but I feel very sad that there is an we-they attitude and a tendency to choose up sides.

          If I had my way, all government forms would be amended to remove reference to race or color. Then, maybe we could reclaim the words, black, brown and red without fear of giving offence.

          Suzianne

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013
            Dear Suzi
            Re: "Government forms"
            When I receive a government form which asks for my ethnicity, I realise I should put White British but instead I enter CORNISH and they've never queried that answer to date.

            As for colour: living by the sea in Cornwall I notice every summer season the ladies on holiday try their utmost to change their skin
            colour from white to bronze in the spectrum but invariably it turns to a shade of red. However I'm happy enough studying the female form
            dishabille.
            As ever
            Wings.

            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@...> wrote:

            > Dear Wings,
            >
            > Right now, many of us are exhausted by all things racial in this country. I try not to ever question our Creator, but sometimes I wish he had chosen one nice shade and hue for all of humanity, eliminating color as a factor for discrimination, but I know humans would just find some other ways to divide and conquor.
            >
            > I am proud to be an American and I love and respect my fellow citizens, regardless of differences, but I feel very sad that there is an we-they attitude and a tendency to choose up sides.
            >
            > If I had my way, all government forms would be amended to remove reference to race or color. Then, maybe we could reclaim the words, black, brown and red without fear of giving offence.
            >
            > Suzianne
            >

            > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
            > >
            > > My friends of t2w
            > > I have lived in many parts of this world, living among people of differing skin pigmentation than my own and have never had cause to complain of their treatment towards me and I sincerely trust I have given no cause for them to complain of my treatment towards them.
            > > The partner of my own youngest granddaughter is from the sub continent of India and I have made him aware he is always welcome to share my table as long as he treats my darling granddaughter(on whom I dote) with respect.
            > > However, some old sayings which were quite acceptable pre WW2 are now giving reasons to bring charges of racism.
            > > The following is from a long-running soap opera in UK:
            > >
            > > In July 2013 the British Soap Opera Coronation Street featured the beginning of a storyline where character Paul Kershaw (Tony Hirst) was accused of racism by Lloyd Mullaney (Craig Charles) after using the phrase "Play the white man" during a game of darts in their local pub The Rover's Return. This sparked Paul to be accused of racism, with Lloyd's friends in the street siding with him, and both men refusing to back down due to differing interpretations of the phrase connotations.
            > > Actually during the darts match Paul aimed for double top to win.
            > > The dart landed in the double top bed but later fell out causing Lloyd to say it didn't count. Now we might say: "Come on be fair, it did land in the double top" but Lloyd disagreed, which is when Paul retorted "Play the white man"
            > >
            > > "Playing the White man" has always been construed as: Doing the decent thing; playing a straight bat. In fact giving no motive for others to challenge your actions.
            > > What, my friends is happening to this planet of ours, where the colour of a person's skin separates a society all of who are blessed with a brain, a heart and a body which places us on the highest
            > > rung of the animal ladder.
            > >
            > > I solicit your sagacious comments.

          • Milton Trachtenburg
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013
              Hi, Wings:

              Living in Miami Beach, I see all the tourists and residents here who have the objective to toast their skin. All people except those from tribes from Equatorial regions, where skin is almost blue-black, darken in the sub-tropical sun here. In reality, other than those few whose blood isn't mixed with someone from the other side of the world or the other side of town has varying hues of skin color and it really has nothing to do with the color "designations" of reality. I am among of those lucky people who tan instead of redden despite the fact that my known relatives spent many hundreds of years in Eastern and Western Europe before migrating to the USA so my present coloring is far darker than many people who fill in the "black" designation on government census forms.

              Bigotry is not about reality. Rather, it is about perception. Perception is often about false assumption and you know what they say about people who ASSUME ...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 21, 2013
                Hi Milton
                Re; "Living in Miami Beach"
                I spent a very interesting 9 months in Miami way back in the 40s.
                Not Florida but Miami Oklahoma which locals pronounced My-amma.
                American civilian pilots tried their utmost to teach me how to take an aircraft up into the firmament and return it to Earth in one piece.
                Luckily for me (and for them) I cottoned on fairly quickly and was presented with the coveted pair of wings.
                Whilst enjoying my sojourn courtesy of Uncle Sam I was treated by one and all of your countrymen with the utmost respect and friendliness whatever their colour or creed.
                I believe it was partly due to my enthusing about the American Way of Life that three of my siblings emigrated to The States resulting in the major part of my now extended family being either American born or of changed nationality to enjoy 'the good life'. However, news we receive over here is that the good life is suffering a setback these days.All I can say to that is: "Join the club".