Requiem for A Reef Skipper.

  • Bernard d
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2013
      Requiem for A Reef Skipper.

      Shed no tears o'er my earthly vessel, for my spirit soars on its way,
      the sea breeze fresh in my nostrils is moist with a welcoming spray.
      I hear melodies so familiar, now a running swell, drums on the hull,
      like a siren call from the heavens, is the cry of a high wheeling gull.
      To the far reefs, out toward the hard line, forever, I'm headed away.

      A wide ocean was ever my mistress and the Reef is where I belong,
      let the ebb sweep me to her bosom, to awake to a rising tide's song.
      Think of me, as at anchor, my spirit now resting where I loved best,
      there horizons fade toward Eastward and home is away to the West.
      My course I plotted at twilight, the sea calls and my journey is long…

      ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva…June 2013.

      THE STAGE LIGHTS BUT BRIEFLY DIM…

      Daylight gleams…and yet for you, day has ended…
      Twilight ebbed to darkness, your final sun has set.
      Forgotten your transgressions, difficult to defend,
      cherished, is the memory, of times never to forget.

      Remembered, are songs carefree Youth had sung,
      lustful ballads sounded, on pathways to Maturity.
      Lilts, where Caution, to farthest winds, was flung,
      so neither harmony nor discord, offered impunity.

      Then, vibrant years…from Mortality we felt aloof,
      and walked the walk as a swagger on Life's stage.
      Days were for living, for were we not bullet proof,
      Prudence was for others, not we who'd never age.

      Life's patent trajectory, gravitates toward ground,
      we became old men, those, who on the past reflect.
      Was life's true purpose something we never found?
      Or, is brevity in the stage lights all one can expect.

      We search, but no plausible answers come to mind,
      how we had failed, or triumphed matters little now.
      The cast we knew is thinning, Oh so rapidly, I find,
      perhaps, the whole play, was but a Parody anyhow…

      I survey the cast, at leisure, for a remembered face…
      boisterous newcomers, bring memories of the past.
      Phantom players in encores their old steps retrace,
      too late shall those new realize, fanfares never last…

      ©.Copyright: Bernard de Silva. 10th. July, 2013.
    • Jay Doggett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2013

        Bernie,

        These are very nice. I especially like the Reef Skipper.

        Jay