Suzianne 41828

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2013
      Dear Suzi
      I would love to hear what Becky & Lucy have to say about
      my arch enemy writers block.
      I would advise a budding author to read the press, form an opinion about
      a news item and write to the editor of your national, provincial or local paper. No good if you need to earn money but you'd be surprised at the responses from other readers.
      I sent an article to a provincial paper that expressly limits readers letters to 300 words maximum.
      My article, which was around 700 words was printed in two separate pages
      due to shortage of space.
      No cash but nice to know you're appreciated.
      As Ever
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013

        Good for you. It is always nice to see your words in print.

        I am no believer in the old bugaboo, writer's block. Some teacher, many years ago, told me that when you get stuck, apply "what if" to any observation. That can change the direction of any story.

        Suzianne

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
          Dear Suzi
          I can never understand a writer admitting to writers block. I repeat what I have said many times before; If you are temporarily stuck for a subject, pick up any book on your shelves; pick any page and then a number between one and forty and another one from one to seven. Turn to the line corresponding with the first number count along the words to the second number and research that word to use as the subject matter of a short story,or do as I have just done:
          On my desk I keep a small pocket dictionary so let me pick it up and quote you an example;
          I've opened up to page 435 and chosen number 8 which tells me that 'in flagrante delicto' means caught in the very act of committing an offence.
          Now I can visualise a burly member of the local constabulary witnessing a robber forcing the lock on a jewellers door during the hours of darkness on a night when all good citizens should be abed.
          Then again: There is the husband returning early from the office and finding his wife in the arms of a lover. Or the Mother checking on her baby daughter who has been overly quiet, only to find her sharing the pet dog's bowl of left overs from dinner.
          The situations are endless.
          For any newcomers to t2w allow me to tell you of what happened some years ago when I challenged any member to give me a word, sentence or phrase and I would start a story for them.
          The outcome was : A certain member named Carol offered me a short piece she had overheard in a store. I started her off and another male member, an ex-Vietnam pat,joined in resulting in a complete book which I had published courtesy of one of UK's top daily newspapers.

          So please never use the excuse writers block again. It is, to my mind, a misnomer for idleness or worse still: defeat.

          -- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@...> wrote:

          > Dear Wings,
          >
          > Good for you. It is always nice to see your words in print.
          >
          > I am no believer in the old bugaboo, writer's block. Some teacher, many years ago, told me that when you get stuck, apply "what if" to any observation. That can change the direction of any story.
          >
          > Suzianne
          >

          > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Suzi
          > > I would love to hear what Becky & Lucy have to say about
          > > my arch enemy writers block.
          > > I would advise a budding author to read the press, form an opinion about
          > > a news item and write to the editor of your national, provincial or local paper. No good if you need to earn money but you'd be surprised at the responses from other readers.
          > > I sent an article to a provincial paper that expressly limits readers letters to 300 words maximum.
          > > My article, which was around 700 words was printed in two separate pages
          > > due to shortage of space.
          > > No cash but nice to know you're appreciated.
          > > As Ever
          > > Wings

        • Jay Doggett
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013

            Test

            Is the list still working?

            Jay

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
              Hi Jay
              Congrats on your invitation.
              Re: "Is the list still working?"
              By list, do you refer to a series of names, words or numbers or
              are you tilting to one side like some European passenger ferries or
              do you mean the archaic word for Listen.
              For myself, having just been released from hospital, I am listless,
              lacking energy but will be back in form fairly soon.

              --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Doggett" <jmdoggett@...> wrote:

              > Test
              >

              > Is the list still working?
              >

              > Jay

            • Jay Doggett
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013

                Pithy and humorous as always. What put you in hospital? I hope you’re ok!

                Jay

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
                  Hi Jay
                  Re What put me in hospital.
                  Technically known as carcinoma of the descending colon.
                  However I opted for a stent so I'll be around to cause a little more mayhem yet awhile.
                  --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Doggett" <jmdoggett@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Wings,
                  >

                  > Pithy and humorous as always. What put you in hospital? I hope you're ok!
                  >

                  > Jay

                • Jay Doggett
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013

                    I’m grateful for the outcome, but not the reason. I hope you’re not uncomfortable and make a fast, complete recovery.

                    Jay