Fw: Wed, March 27 - Taps on the Walls: Major General John Borling Reading & Book Signing

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013

      --- On Fri, 3/22/13, The Poetry Center of Chicago <handsonstanzas@...> wrote:

      PCOC Logo

      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

      CONNECT WITH US!

      Like us @
      RSVP to General Borlings event here

       _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

      APRIL EVENTS

      A HEAP OF LANGUAGE:
      The Poetry Center's  year of events hosted at
      the Chicago Cultural Center: Where language meets everything else

      Rehearsal of a Grand Opera for One Person
      Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 7:00pm
      Chicago Cultural Center,
      Millennium Park Room, 5th Floor

      The Book That Was To Come
      Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 1:00pm
      Chicago Cultural Center,
      Claudia Cassidy Theater

      Bad Rabbit
      Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 6:00pm
      Chicago Cultural Center,
      4th Floor Conference Room

      Talking Text/Texting Talk
      Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 6:00pm
      Chicago Cultural Center,
      Claudia Cassidy Theater

      For more information please visit:

      GIVE THE GIFT OF POETRY
      Poetry Broadsides
      Order yours today!

      Natalie Merchant "Motherland"
      Natalie Merchant broadside
      Treat the poetry lover in your life to one of our beautifully crafted, limited edition, poetry broadsides or choose from any of our quality products. The Poetry Center store carries a variety of goods, including superbly mastered digital CD recordings of compiled and individual Poetry Center readings, past and current editions of the Hands on Stanzas anthology, and unique poetry t-shrits and caps.

      Visit our on-line gallery to browse our collection of broadsides and for a complete catalog of all our products.

      donate button
      Chicago Scene
      Local Poetry Event Resource

      The Poetry Center's Chicago Scene is an on-line tool which lists poetry readings and events in  and around Chicago.  Visit the Poetry Center website to see current listings, and find out how to get your own poetry event listed.

      Taps on the Walls:
      Major General John Borling

      Reading & Book Signing

      Wednesday, March 27, 2013 @ 7:00pm

      Chicago Cultural Center,

      Millennium Park Room, 5th Floor

      Borling Event poster

      This year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of the Hanoi Hilton POWs-and the new book TAPS ON THE WALLS: Poems from the Hanoi Hilton (Master Wings Publishing, an imprint of the Pritzker Military Library) reveals a remarkable companion that sustained them through their darkest days: Poetry.

      In TAPS ON THE WALLS: Poems from the Hanoi Hilton, Major General John Borling (USAF, Ret.) shares his story and the poetry/prose he mentally composed and kept memorized during his six and a half year incarceration in Hanoi. He tapped his creations, with themes very relevant to today, through thick walls to fellow POWs using a special, but forbidden, prison tap code to 'make time an ally' and provide legacy for his wife in case he didn't survive.

      Join us for Major General John Borling's reading, followed by a Q&A and Book Signing.

      An independent not-for-profit arts organization founded in 1974, The Poetry Center of Chicago's mission is to promote poetry through readings, workshops, residencies and arts education, to make poetry accessible to the general public, to stimulate and encourage young poets, and to advance the careers of poets by offering them professional opportunities. The Poetry Center is in residence at the Chicago Cultural Center. A Heap of Language is the Poetry Center's 2012/13 Event Series, at the Chicago Cultural Center.

      For information about any of our programs or to order Reading Series tickets go to poetrycenter.org or call 312.609.1000.

      This email was sent to suzianne411@... by handsonstanzas@... |
      The Poetry Center | 78 East Washington St. | Pedway East | Chicago Cultural Center | Chicago | IL | 60602