Re: [ticket2write] Re: Wish to do a poetic collaboration, of a poem, with me?

  • miltontrachtenburg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
      There are two ways to look at this: As an expression of the soul, poetry is a singular creation. However, as a commercial effort, two minds are often better than one. Think of songwriting teams, book writing teams, scientific collaborations. They do not intend to produce works of the soul. They intend to produce commercially successful works that bring pleasure to someone who will pay for it.

      A second view if we are talking about soul-writing is that the person making the request is unable to come up with anything viable and wants a crutch to lean upon. Could you imagine Maya Angelou asking an online group for a collaborator? Not on this planet or in any of our lifetimes.

      Great prose or poetry ends up a collaboration---that of an author and an editor(s). For instance, without Sol Stein editing, neither Jacque Barzun's nor James Baldwin's finished works would have been exactly what we read. Editing, however, is clarifying the ideas of the author, not changing them. Often, my editors were able to take ideas that, when I put them to paper, sounded convoluted. By altering the words, they gave them the life I had intended. That process is so different from two people creating a work.

      Poetry is the one written form that is deeply personal. It is a vision, not a "give me a word that rhymes with antidisestablishmentarianism." It is a verbal painting as Susianne so well expressed. Every writer needs a good editor to polish what she thought she said so the reader understands the meaning the writer intended. But poetry is the heartbeat of the soul and unless you are a conjoined twin, your heartbeat is yours alone.

      Milt

      In a message dated 3/6/2013 9:47:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, suzianne411@... writes:

      Dear James,

      Can you imagine a couple of artists passing a pallette and brush back and forth, taking turns applying pigment to canvas? That would not produce great art, would it? The poem that might evolve from collaboration is not likely to be as fresh and imediate as one thet springs from the heart and mind of of a lone poet drawing words from the depths of his or her soul.