Re: Wish to do a poetic collaboration, of a poem, with me?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
      Dear James,

      Can you imagine a couple of artists passing a pallette and brush back and forth, taking turns applying pigment to canvas? That would not produce great art, would it? The poem that might evolve from collaboration is not likely to be as fresh and imediate as one thet springs from the heart and mind of of a lone poet drawing words from the depths of his or her soul.

      Suzianne

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, b_r_e_t_h <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Dear All Fellow Members,
      >
      > Ni hao. Good African-American History Month to you. Thanx for the excellent reads, replies and posts, without poets like you, where would the world be. Very generous of you all, which has inspired me to inquire as to whether any of you wish to do a poetic collaboration of a poem with me; emailing preferrred- in this group is fine? I can only do 3 at a time, so, first come, first served; I've experience collaborating, and ideas, what are yours?:
      >
      > Wish to do a poetic collaboration, of a poem, with me?:

      > Some of the groups I moderate, etc.:
      > Disabled Greens News and discussion, Group:
      > Abuse in Therapy, Group:
      > Diffabled, Mental Health, all related issues, advocacy, and professionals:
      > http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/Diffabled_MentalHealth_Action
      > reality's Yahoo webhostsite:
      > http://thevolutionaries.com/home
      > with clickable linx; and:
      > http://thevolutionaries.com/index.html
      > reality's Care2 profile page, et al
      > http://www.care2.com/c2c/people/profile.html?pid=564162768
      > http://my.care2.com/areality
      > reality's MySpace page, blog:
      > http://myspace.com/jamesmnordlund
      > reality's actions, profile on google:
      > http://www.google.com/profiles/jamesmnordlund
      > reality's actions on change.org:
      > http://www.change.org/profile/189788/petitions
      > reality's Windows live space profile:
      > https://profile.live.com/cid-95b007b5e94b56de/
      > reality's Wordpress blog, profile:
      > http://jamesmnordlund.wordpress.com/
      > reality's actions on Blogger, profile (google):
      > http://www.blogger.com/profile/03746613683415101888
      > reality's yahoo blog: http://profiles.yahoo.com/blog/7V7NV7WJVGJI2MIJRHWDZ3MM2Q
      > reality's profile on The Starlite Café (poetry):
      > http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/myhome.php?user=reality1
      > poetryfirst · POETRY FiRST:
      > Poets For Human Rights:
      > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/poets-for-human-rights
      > Poets For Human Rights:
      > http://poetsforhumanrights.ning.com/profile/reality
      >
      > What do you think? "Painting is poetry which is seen and not heard, and poetry is a painting which is heard but not seen." ~ Leonardo da Vinci. For those interested :) "of or pertaining to the morning, day :) relating to or happening in the morning or in the early part of the day ( formal ), (Mid-16th century, from late Latin matutinalis, from Matuta, goddess of the dawn.)". Thanx for all you do! Write on. Enjoy a festive eve' as you can. Ciao, for now.
      >
      > Matutinally Yours,
      >
      > james m nordlund reality (aja) :)

    • miltontrachtenburg
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
        There are two ways to look at this: As an expression of the soul, poetry is a singular creation. However, as a commercial effort, two minds are often better than one. Think of songwriting teams, book writing teams, scientific collaborations. They do not intend to produce works of the soul. They intend to produce commercially successful works that bring pleasure to someone who will pay for it.

        A second view if we are talking about soul-writing is that the person making the request is unable to come up with anything viable and wants a crutch to lean upon. Could you imagine Maya Angelou asking an online group for a collaborator? Not on this planet or in any of our lifetimes.

        Great prose or poetry ends up a collaboration---that of an author and an editor(s). For instance, without Sol Stein editing, neither Jacque Barzun's nor James Baldwin's finished works would have been exactly what we read. Editing, however, is clarifying the ideas of the author, not changing them. Often, my editors were able to take ideas that, when I put them to paper, sounded convoluted. By altering the words, they gave them the life I had intended. That process is so different from two people creating a work.

        Poetry is the one written form that is deeply personal. It is a vision, not a "give me a word that rhymes with antidisestablishmentarianism." It is a verbal painting as Susianne so well expressed. Every writer needs a good editor to polish what she thought she said so the reader understands the meaning the writer intended. But poetry is the heartbeat of the soul and unless you are a conjoined twin, your heartbeat is yours alone.

        Milt