Re: Fw: for those in the vicinity of Chicago

  • .
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
      I missed this, but very much am a fan of spoken literature. I perform whenever I can, and sit in the audience and cheer on those who do well. I just followed their FB page  and hope to get out there soon.

      Too often, "spoken word" has become equal to "bad metronomic, musicless hip-hop with cliche messages of despair." Or "really bad coffeehouse poetry pretending to be deep, but really, just preaches pop politics to the choir." The  2009 presidential inauguration poem was that exactly.  Elizabeth Alexander , in my opinion, stunk. She was no Robert Frost and no one will remember that she wasted her opportunity to increase the voice of literature in America.

      As you can see, I'm a wee bit jaded, but I'm also hopeful. Valerie Wallace, featured at Malone's, has genuine chops. See http://www.pw.org/content/valerie_wallace

      Anthony Trendl