NaHaiWriMo

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2013
      Dear t2w writers and poets,

      This just in from Karla Decker, a nice old friend of mine from Lincoln, Nebraska: NaHaiWriMo (National Haiku Writing Month) welcomes new members if you'd like to make some fun new friends. And as it turns out it's not just for February (the shortest month) anymore. It went on for the whole year last year and I'm sure will do the same this coming year. AND, it is far from "National" anymore. There are fascinating folks from all over the world. One other caveat: though they aren't insistent on it, they do not subscribe to the 5-7-5 business. Following the Haiku Society of America, they believe 5-7-5 is based on Japanese 'onjis' which are similar to our syllables only shorter. So the aim is less than 17 syllables in a very free way. The only important rule is to capture the moment. The NaHaiWriMo originator and guru, Michael Dylan Welch, has made haiku a scholarly mission and often posts from his work, "Graceguts" to guide those to wish to know more about the form. Highly recommend this site.

      https://sites.google.com/site/nahaiwrimo/home/haiku-organizations

      Let's all give it a try!