When did Americans lose their British accents?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
    • miltontrachtenburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
        Don't you mean, "veddy interesting?"

        Excellent piece---infohmative, yes?

        In a message dated 2/1/2013 8:33:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, suzianne411@... writes:

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2013
          Hi Milton
          Perhaps we should ask: "When did Britain lose the British accents"
          Pre-WW2, Auntie Beeb,a euphemism for the British Broadcasting Corporation,was accepted as the masters of the English language.
          Not any more I'm afraid.
          Take a simple word such as CONTROVERSY. My generation always pronounced that word: "CON-TROVERSY" nowadays the Beeb pronounce it:
          CONTRA-VERSY.
          GBS must be turning in his grave.