Precision & Veracity (Suzianne 41626)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
      Dear Suzi
      Re: "Trust every word you speak and write"

      Whilst thanking you for those very kind words I must put the record
      to rights before accepting such an accolade of fidelity.
      I will admit to being truthful within acceptable limits in my discourse with my fellow beings as that was ingrained into my makeup, not only by loving respectable parents but as a member of the Boy Scouts.
      Like your own George Washington: "I cannot tell a lie" but I do have
      the ability to bend the true facts a tad to unravel an entanglement
      not of my making or to help others take the wind from the sails
      of authoritarian bullies.
      As writers we are all capable of overshadowing that man and wife
      Biblical team of fraudsters Ananais and Sapphira.
      Even biographers will present their subjects in a light to suit not
      only the known facts but also embellish those facts to gain publicity
      and the attendant monetary rewards of a possible best seller.

      As we pick up our pen we can give birth; terminate a life within a short paragraph; allow the hero to cheat on his betrothed; win a war against a superior aggressor; fly through the streets of New York with no wings or visible means of support. We are invincible and as the ink flows we become the omnipotent creator of the past, the present or the future.
      We writers must accept the knowledge we all are listed on the roll of
      major prevaricators because that is what the reader needs, to escape from the hum-drum daily routine of living. Prince or pauper, they all need that extra spice to enhance the palatability of the pudding.

      With only a basic education, I rely on you, dear lady and other
      erudite pedagogues among our members, to point me in the right direction if I should ever wander off course in my endless ramblings.

      May your shadow never grow less and your pen never run dry.
      As ever
      Wings.
    • mtracht508@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
        Dear Wings:

        Adding you your line of thought...

        Having written in both fiction and nonfiction, I have come to differentiate the two with the following:

        Good nonfiction is facts written in the most interesting manner the author can achieve to present his subject unvarnished by platitudes or attitudes written to inform the reader of lives and times that will broaden his horizons.

        Fiction is truths written in the most interesting manner the author can achieve to reveal the contents of the human heart at its best and worst written to force the reader to think about the possibilites in the universe if we begin by saying..."s'posin'."

        Milt

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013

          Those are interesting observations. Perhaps, writing is the means by which many of us cope with realities over which we have little control. Paper and ink allow us to be creators and masters in the realm of fiction. That is probably a great relief to our real life friends and family.

          Suzianne