A MALADY CALLED PROGRESS

  • Bernard d
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2012
      A MALADY CALLED PROGRESS

      We have this malady called "Progress",

      you've likely have heard of it, I guess…

      Today's King, is he tomorrow's clown?

      Convenience goes up, quality is down,

      the world economy, is one total mess.

      We step earlier onto majority's stage,

      for some fools reset the drinking age.

      Who, become adult…or so they think,

      but alcoholics, still to young to drink,

      a forward shift, is truly hard to gauge.

      We've sacrificed, the saner way of life,

      decried matrimony, with the legal wife.

      Illegitimacy, with a hyphenated name,

      might be the newborn's claim to fame,

      as unwed parenting, goes running rife.

      Apathy works hard, Respect to efface,

      and Abuse is becoming commonplace,

      we turn `a blind eye', denying the cost.

      If humane compassion, forever, is lost,

      "Progress", might be a backward pace.

      None will query the need, for progress,

      yet in most vital regions we do regress.

      Are we mindful, what to keep, or reject,

      or are we too biased in what we expect…

      we choose what to extol or to suppress.

      We deny our liability, at every chance,

      Convenience is ever allied to advance.

      Veracity,  may have fallen by the way,

      the sun, set on values of a better day,

      yet we find excuses, our role enhance…

      ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva. 4/12/12.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
        Bernie my friend
        Another thought provoking poem from `down under'.
        Re: "None will query the need for progress
        yet in most vital regions we do regress".

        Progress will always have its downsides.
        In 1066 AD a Norman arrow laid low Harold, the monarch of England.
        These days a mere 1 megaton atomic weapon would wipe
        out that entire English army gathered on the cliffs of Dover.
        During the so-called Middle-ages a man of 45 yrs was considered old.
        Longevity today is increasing rapidly and before long the telegrams
        from Buck House congratulating centenarians will have to be printed in batches of hundreds.
        Medical science has worked wonders combating disease.
        Polio, Influenza, tuberculosis and other life threatening complaints
        are now mostly curable.
        Wars in the past decimated global populations and never ending
        conflicts of the 21st century are continually trying to maintain a
        manageable balance between mouths to feed and sustenance
        available.

        Pre-WW2 schoolchildren in UK were taught that the entire population
        of Earth, allowing 2SqMetres per person, would fit ,side by side on
        the isle of Wight, a plot of land area 380 sqkm (147sqmiles) off the
        south coast of England.
        Now, with a World population of nearly 7 billion, three Isles of Wight
        would scarcely suffice to contain every man woman and child.

        What is the answer? Perhaps, ( Heaven forbid) Nature, in her wisdom,
        will instigate the proliferation of a disease of the magnitude of
        the influenza attack which wiped out so many souls following WW1.
        Otherwise it will be left to man to devise a weapon so devastating
        that we may all start again from a single cell, to be ground beneath
        the heel of a World dictator emerging from hiding in his lair of
        Krubera (Voronja).

        I fear, not for myself, but for my progeny yet to be born.
        Future history books may prove what a confusion or salmagundi
        is our legacy bequeathed to future generations of man.
        I hesitate to propose a confutation to this enigmatic situation as
        when I had published, in our national press, my article applauding
        GM crops as the answer to starvation in Africa, I was inundated
        with replies suggesting I get my facts right and GM crops were
        inventions of those who would profit from the destruction of
        Nature's helpers like bees and other insects assisting in the
        Pollination of plant-life.
        Seems I can't win but hopefully a member of t2w may point me
        in the direction to a successful conclusion.
        As Always
        Wings

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
          G'day Wings, Old Mate,

          RE: may we all start again from a single cell...

          There are the many things tangible yet unexplained,
          and sometimes it appears very little is new to the world,
          even though form may have evolved…and the non
          believer ponders…`Does the world evolve, destruct,
          to then perhaps recycle?'

          " THE GREAT DIVIDE"

          A speck within the universe, one almost self effacing,
          oft' left barren, with but some amoebic genesis intact.
          Cycles perhaps repeated, amoeba to the atom tracing,
          in sands of millenniums, humanity's tragedy to enact.

          Mankind's legacy, confusion, in remnants of the past,
          viewed, vaunted tabulations, wisdom's agenda for life.
          Statutes, to civilizations, decadence insures never last,
          the inspired proffered translates as manifest for strife.

          Interpretation and revelation, often offered as discrete,
          unrestricted, in essence, may by convenience converge.
          A multitude of translators, yet their script is incomplete,
          inadequate, should that last amoeba, decline to re-surge.

          ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva…8 October 2007…

          \
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
            Hi Bernie
            Re: "and the non-believer ponders"
            I hold my hand up to aligning my deliberations to that statement.
            That eminent scientist Charles Darwin supplied an answer to those
            people who asked: "but from whence did man evolve"?
            Survival of the fittest; transmutation of species; evolution from a
            single amoeba. In the nineteenth century a comparatively gullible
            society were ready and willing to accept any theory but the story
            from the Old Testament regarding Genesis spouted from the pulpit
            of their local house of worship.

            Can you imagine one amoeba saying to another: " I say old boy, what say we join together and form a bigger body. If we get others to join we could take over the World."
            Until I hear a believable argument to the contrary, I intend to stick to the teachings of my primary school educators and in the meantime,
            with global warming threatening a repeat of the biblical deluge,
            I'm stocking up on some timber resistant to wood boring beetles
            and breeding a pair of doves.
            Ps.
            My friends may tell you that I'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic
            but they are all clamouring to reserve a space on my Cornish Ark.