Re: The Boys of Summer (Jerry S 41344)

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi Jerry
      Re."I have yet to know the joy of having grandchildren"
      My friend, prepare to be amazed. Your life will be forever changed.
      You will no longer be held to account for childhood misdemeanours as with your own offspring.That is the responsibility of their parents and you only get to see the good side.
      Warning: Do not presume you will be allowed to give the baby its name,because you can bet your life that name will be on the list of the parents 'No Way Jose'.
      Re.your "Cake & Icecream for breakfast" Go for it but swear them to secrecy or your place may be a 'no go area' in future once their mum & dad get to hear of it.
      Once I let my eldest granddaughter have a school girl friend to stay with her for the night. They were both about thirteen years old and when they arose in the morning I served them boiled eggs and toast.
      Acceptable you make think but in hindsight perhaps I should have served the toast in triangles rather than cut into strips as kids buttered soldiers.One good thing about being a grandad:The kids expect you to be a tad senile and laugh it off when you embarrass them.
      Finally Jerry,come February you will begin an experience to savour
      for the rest of your life.
      My very best regards to the parents and grandad.
    • Jay Doggett
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
        Carol,

            Nice poem. I enjoyed reading it. The effect lingered a while.

        Jay