The Road Not Taken: Revisited

  • Jerry S
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
      The Road Not Taken: Revisited
      (With a nod to Robert Frost)

      I returned once to that yellow wood
      Where two roads diverged so long ago,
      And pondered if my choice had been good
      As I emulated Robin Hood
      In the autumn's fiery golden glow!

      And so I trod down the well worn way
      To see what I may have missed before.
      Had I chosen wisely on that day
      Or had my own pride led me astray?
      It was for this truth I must explore,

      And put to rest this old nagging doubt!
      To the end I would pursue this quest.
      My feet flew light like a native scout
      To see what this road might be about,
      And travel long before I could rest.

      A great treasure I found by and by,
      And so to you I will now dispense.
      `Twas not that one road led me awry;
      The journeys themselves are where values lie
      That is what makes all the difference!

      JKSaylor
      8-27-12
    • carol_emt87
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2012
        Hey Jerry,
        I really enjoy this poem, especially the nod to Frost. I took the original poem and split screened (is that a verb?) with yours. I think they compliment each other very nicely. Frost leans to the path choice where your rendition speaks very clearly about the journey. Nice work.
        I post, for your enjoyment, my favorite Frost poem—a short one and easily memorized. I wonder if anyone does that anymore.
        Always,
        Carol

        Nothing Gold Can Stay

        Nature's first green is gold
        Her hardest hue to hold
        Her early leaf's a flower
        But only so an hour

        Then leaf subsides to leaf
        So Eden sank to grief
        So dawn goes down to day
        Nothing gold can stay

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry S" <jerry5849@...> wrote:

        > The Road Not Taken: Revisited
        > (With a nod to Robert Frost)
        >

        > I returned once to that yellow wood
        > Where two roads diverged so long ago,
        > And pondered if my choice had been good
        > As I emulated Robin Hood
        > In the autumn's fiery golden glow!
        >
        > And so I trod down the well worn way
        > To see what I may have missed before.
        > Had I chosen wisely on that day
        > Or had my own pride led me astray?
        > It was for this truth I must explore,
        >
        > And put to rest this old nagging doubt!
        > To the end I would pursue this quest.
        > My feet flew light like a native scout
        > To see what this road might be about,
        > And travel long before I could rest.
        >
        > A great treasure I found by and by,
        > And so to you I will now dispense.
        > `Twas not that one road led me awry;
        > The journeys themselves are where values lie
        > That is what makes all the difference!
        >
        > JKSaylor
        > 8-27-12

      • Jerry S
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
          Hey Carol,

          I'm glad you enjoyed my offering. I had always wondered what Frost might have written had he ever returned to that place, but alas. I do not claim to be in the slightest on a par with him, but I must admit that it was a fun write. (smiling)

          Thank you for sharing "Nothing Gold Can Stay." Frost is a master poet with a unique insight allowing him to capture a feeling or a place and then sharing the experience with his readers.

          As always,
          Jerry