Re: [ticket2write] Re: Help! (Suzianne 41202)

  • Pauline Hamilton
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 30, 2012
      Hi Wings,
      I'm on your side too :-)

      have always said con-troversy myself, have been known to be watching the TV and trying to explain to the presenter that they have it wrong. (Yes,
      I am aware that the sound only works one way on the TV, but I come from a long line of
      avid sports fans and couch potato instructors, so I reserve the right to correct those who have changed the annunciation of language we all grew up with )

      That's my two cents worth anyway.

      Regards
      Pauline
      ------------------------------
      On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 02:33 NZST Wings081 wrote:

      >Dear Suzi
      >Re: "Y'all talk funny in Cornwall"
      >How dare you madam.We all be talking the Queen's English down 'ere
      >same as what you should be a doin'.
      >
      >Way back in the forties, when I was chosen with other cadets to sail to America to learn the art of flying aircraft, we were lectured that we were essentially ambassadors, paving the way for Uncle Sam's visiting nephews and nieces receiving the shock treatment of wartime England where poverty of food and finance was part of our life.
      >We were warned of the language difference and issued with a booklet
      >full of words we should mull over before usage.
      >One which stands out for me was BUM which to me referred to a person's posterior housing his glutius maximus muscle.However the US version referred to a tramp;a hobo.
      >I don't remember the booklet telling me a rubber was a device for
      >preventing pregnancy, and wondered why the young lady at the PX blushed when all I wanted was an eraser to rub out pencil mistakes in my course work.
      >By far the worst was when I and a fellow cadet accepted a lift from a charming lady on our way to Tulsa.
      >From much practice I can stifle a laugh when someone makes an obvious faux pas, but my friend in the rear seat had to pretend to cough violently into his handkerchief when our guest driver declared:
      >"I've been on the road since eight this morning and I've got a sore fanny".
      >To our youthful ears that described an affliction of part of a woman's
      >pudendum about which gentlemen never mention.
      >
      >However, dear lady, getting back to pronunciations:
      >I thank you for coming to my assistance and will henceforth brazenly use 'con-troversy' as being correct. My parent's taught me that way and I'm sticking to it.
      >As ever
      >Wings
      >

      >--- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Dear Wings...Y'all talk funny in Cornwall, but in this case I think (Con-troversy) with the accent on con is pretty close to the way we would pronounce the word here in Arkansas. However, the dictionary provides this: con·tro·ver·sy   /ˈkɒntrəˌvɜrsi; Brit. also kənˈtrɒvərsi/ Show Spelled[kon-truh-vur-see; Brit. also kuhn-trov-er-see] with the accent on trov.
      >>
      >> Confused??? Me, too
      >>
      >> Suzianne
      >>

      >> --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Will one of you university teachers of the English language kindly save me from applying for a bed in a psychiatric ward.
      >> > Let me tell you my problem:
      >> > For more years than I care to remember I have always pronounced the word
      >> > describing a clash of opinions as: CONTROVERSY (Con-troversy)but these days the BBC,that body we have always lovingly referred to as 'Auntie Beeb',(That organisation we have hitherto looked up to as being correct
> [...]
    • Jay Doggett
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 4 6:06 AM
        Wings,

            Thank you. I will!