Remembering Memorial Day

  • Jerry S
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 5:02 AM
      I realize our T2W members are comprised of folks from many different nations, but for Americans this is a special day, a day to remember those service men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. In our most famous cemetery stands a special tomb which contains the mortal remains of some of those nameless few. It is known as the "Tomb of the Unknowns" and it contains the following inscription on one panel:

      Here Rests
      In Honored Glory
      An American Soldier
      Known But To God

      The tomb is guarded around the clock, 365 days a year by the Tomb Honor Guard from the 3rd Infantry Regiment ("The Old Guard"). This is their creed.

      The Sentinel's Creed

      My dedication to this sacred duty
      Is total and wholehearted.
      In the responsibility bestowed on me
      Never will I falter.
      And with dignity and perseverance
      My standard will remain perfection.
      Through the years of diligence and praise
      And the discomfort of the elements,
      I will walk my tour in humble reverence
      To the best of my ability.
      It is he who commands the respect I protect,
      His bravery that made us so proud.
      Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day,
      Alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
      This soldier will in honored glory rest
      Under my eternal vigilance.

      The Arlington National Cemetery is located on the Virginia side of the Potomac River across from Washington, D. C. In 2011, there were over three million visitors.