Young Jerry for thine especial amusement

    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2012
      Hi Jerry
      As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither. Harold Schlumberg is such a person:

      THIS IS QUOTED FROM HAROLD: "I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
      Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whiskey into urine. It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."
      Harold should be an inspiration to us all.

      Take heart my friend.

      Ps. I have similar skills to Harold, even without a chemical engineering back ground.
    • Jerry S
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2012
        Wings my friend,

        I do indeed agree with you about Harold and would refer you to this toast given by an unknown author:

        Here's to a long life and a merry one
        A quick death and an easy one
        A pretty girl and an honest one
        A cold beer and another one!

        I am delighted to hear that you take the responsibilities of retirement seriously old friend. Have fun and don't work too awfully hard. (lol)

        As always,
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2012
          Love the last two lines of your poem Jerry

          Reminds me of a complaint I raised against the BBC.
          During Quiz shows where prizes are available for winners, the quiz master always asks the contestant: "What will you do with the money if you win".
          To my mind, that is the same as a boss asking a workman what he is going to do with his hard earned wages.
          The programmers acknowledged my letter but they still continue with this same question.
          However, I was rewarded one evening recently when,after a man had been asked this same stupid question ,the contestant replied:
          "I'll spend most of it on wine,women and song and the rest I'll just fritter away".
          That reply made my day.
          As Always
          Wings

          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2012
            Wings,

            I am glad you voiced that complaint to the BBC and I'm delighted with the contestant's response to the game show host when asked that same dull question. His honest answer must have shocked some folks whilst also making them smile.

            I recall several years ago when a gentleman who had just turned 100 years of age was interviewed by a local news reporter. The reporter queried the man with a similarly stupid question when he asked what the fellow attributed his longevity to. The man thought for a second and responded, "Well, I never smoked tobacco, drank strong drink or ran with wild womenÂ…until I was twelve."

            Such honesty to too seldom expressed in my humble opinion, but when it is revealed it does warm my heart. Have a bright and sunny day my friend.