Fw: Tuesdays with Writers February 7th -- coming right up!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012

      Tuesday, February 7th, at 7pm

      Tuesdays with Writers

      presents

      -the WRITE STUFF writing group -

      at the South Mill

      48th & Prescott, Lincoln

      The "Write Stuff" writing group is a generational writing group meeting once a month in Lincoln -- members of the group reading tonite include:

      Eileen Durgin-Clinchard, Amy Plettner, Lucy Adkins, Carole Barnes-Montgomery, Nancy Savery, Ardiss Cederholm, Suzanne Yelkin, Linda Stringham, Deb Walz, Anna Jamrog, Rex Walton, Cathy Maasdam, Marge Saiser, and Marilyn Dorf

      open mike to follow - for more info, email Deborah at dmcginn@...

      ALSO,

      GOOD News!!

      from the Creative Writing dept. of Lincoln high School (Deborah McGinn):

       Scribe 2012 , the literary magazine of Lincoln High School since 1930 has won for the second year in a row, the National Council of Teachers of English Highest Superior Award. A total of 391 schools entered their magazines and 96 were considered. The editorial squad, as they choose to be called, are very proud of themselves. Our shirts this year are cardinal red with white letters classy and spiffy.

      In addition, I am trying to get a slam poetry team started at Lincoln High. Matt Mason and Andrew Ek have masterminded the plan and organized it well. There is a superb documentary I encourage you to see called “Louder Than a Bomb”  Google Adam “Poet Breathe” from “Louder Than a Bomb” and watch this kid perform with passion you have never seen before. Google “Counting Graves” from the same source to see the power of a four-person ensemble. This documentary has our kids on fire with inspiration to compose.

      This event will be Nebraska’s first, originating in Chicago, and LHS will be the only Lincoln team to compete in “Louder Than a Bomb” (the contest name) in Omaha this April. The professional coach assigned to Lincoln High is Dominique Garay and I am excited to work with him. Dom and I will strategize after school one day a week with kids. During the week I will have them writing so they are competent on the page and Dom will come to help shape the performance aspect. We will not be a team of yelling nonsense, but a team of writing and revising so our original pieces sing figurative language from metaphor to sharp details with a story and message. We have diverse voices and authentic tales, full of rich experience.

      Let's cheer on the LHS Slam Team!!!