Hugo (2011)

  • jameskettering
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2011
      It's rare to find someone who enjoys watching films from the early days of cinema. This is because a lot people do not like older films. Luckily, director Martin Scorsese pays tribute to the early days of film with "Hugo", an amazing look at why these short motion pictures need to be seen and preserved for the next generation of film goers to view them for their historical purpose. The movie has very little flaws, but it is still quite perfect. "Hugo" is a perfect film that uses the 3D technology to its advantages, but most importantly, it shows us why we love films in the first place.

      The plot centers around a young boy named Hugo Cabret (Asa Butterfield) who lives in the Paris train station and is working on the clocks there. Hugo is also working on fixing an automaton that mechanically writes and trying to avoid the station inspector (Sacha Baron Cohen). One day, Hugo fixes the automaton and finds out that it once belonged to the legendary director Georges Méliès (Ben Kingsley). He finds out that the once great filmmaker considers his work as garbage. What follows is an adventure in the world of silent movies and understanding that things that are broken can be fixed again.

      "Hugo" is a great triumph in filmmaking. The reason behind this is because it is a tribute to the early days of cinema. It goes into detail as to why we go to the movies: to see something creative, fun, and entertaining. The film goes to great detail by showing the audience some clips from cinema's past including the short films of Thomas Edison, and, of course, the works of Georges Méliès. "Hugo" is a great history lesson for the early days of film.

      But that's just the beginning. The direction from Martin Scorsese is superb, mainly because he himself loves the works of Georges Méliès. The sets were fantastic and the special effects were absolutely brilliant. The 3D effects used in the film were good, especially at the beginning of the movie. "Hugo" is a triumph in everything that was put into this picture.

      There are only a few items that would degrade the movie from being absolutely perfect. First up, the film feels a bit slow at some moments, making the action monotonous to some. Finally, the scenes with Sacha Baron Cohen falling in love were bit hokey. But this is to show that the character he portrays is lonely and wants somebody to love. Yet it was pretty predictable to where his story arc was going to end.

      In conclusion, "Hugo" is an amazing film, with only a couple of flaws, that needs to be seen on the big screen. It's a history lesson for those who want to learn the early days of film and how movies themselves got a start becoming an industry. And hopefully, this will cause interest in early cinema for many people to fall in love with.
    • Mary Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2011
        James
        I have not seen this movie yet. Since a review is supposed to help me decide whether or not I want to I thought I would give this edit a try.
        Mary