Re: New Words. (Bernard40808)

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19 3:24 AM
      Hi Bernie.
      On my bookshelves is an ancient Cassells New English Dictionary which I acquired way back in the 40's from a bookshop in Hong Kong. Over the years I have up-dated to later versions by Collins and other reputable lexicographers, but I often refer back to the old one in times of doubt.

      Re. "Good quality hand tools" That's a great analogy.
      Until retirement I ran a building company and when taking on new employees I would usually look at their bag of tools to check the condition.It is possible to judge a man's work by the state of his tools.A building trowel with cement adhering to the frog of the handle
      would indicate a slipshod workman, as also would the state of his working area.These days of haste, many bricklayers would scratch their heads in wonder if you ask them to use a Frenchman to create a weather struck profile when pointing their work yet years ago a brick layer would fashion his own out of a table knife.
      It's the same with words.So many are left in the dictionary instead of taking them out for an airing now and again.
      It seems the modern trend, when a word escapes the author or speaker, is to insert the infamous 'F' word.To my mind that is a retrograde step which needs culling severely from books and theatre/television
      presentations which were once classed as family entertainment.
      A quick check in a Collins pocket dictionary results in 1760 words
      listed starting with the letter 'F'.If we call each one a yard that equates to one mile of 'F' words.There are 25 more letters in the English language which could amount to another 44,000 words or 25 miles, so why do authors and playwrights/scriptwriters insist on desecrating a word of middle Dutch origin, (meaning to strike)
      which describes the ultimate action of love between a man and woman.
      But I appear to be getting too deep into modern literary peccadilloes so perhaps it's time I went. innit.
      Cheers old mate

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard d" <rede2rollbaby@...> wrote:

      > G'day Wings,
      > I found a second edition print of
      > "The Australian Oxford Paperback Dictionary"
      > among some books for sale. Now, my old Concise
      > Oxford Dictionary, with, "more miles on the clock
      > that the one owner, little old Lady driven, car
      > at the used car mart", is old and well worn and
      > since this other book was in mint, perhaps un-used
      > condition and was indeed from Oxford University Press,
      > I duly acquired same as a possible replacement...
      > New words, you say? Well maybe not new to
      > one who has 'knocked around a bit and seen a few dry
      > gullies', but there are some colloquial and "Urban"
      > examples I've heard,(and uttered on occasion),that
      > I certainly did not expect to see. This of course
      > comes, as you mention, at the expense of grand old
      > words which are but seldom used...Still money well
      > spent, but the older book holds pride of place...
      > Words, Old Mate, are akin to good quality
      > hand tools...one can never, it seems, acquire too many...
      > Cheers, Old Son,
      > Bernie...
      >

      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am always pleased when a new word of English pops up in my day.
      > > Perhaps new words is a misnomer In this instance but it's new to me. Reading US news today I came across FETICIDE and on researching my dictionary I find the answer to be similar to ABORTICIDE.
      > > They may not be new to you but they are to me and I'll work them into a story one day.
      > > The news was about this poor woman who survived a suicide attempt while taking rat poison. The Indiana judge refused her bail,presumably because she might try again. She was pregnant with a baby girl feotus
      > > and so I suppose she will be charged with murder of an unborn child or FETICIDE.
      > > An interesting point here is a few years ago I used to take rat poison
      > > for a slight heart condition. It was Warfarin, exactly the same as I laid down for an infestation of rats at an old farmstead where I once lived.Got rid of the rats but I'm still around.Did I hear somebody say "Pity" Ah well can't please everyone.
      > > As always
      > > Wings.

    • albiaicehouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20 11:25 AM
        Bernie and Wings,

        Dear Sirs,

        I am reminded of the rumor certain Irishmen make it their life's preoccupation to speak voluminously every day, but, since the English and Irish languages are replete with terms, to never use the same word twice.

        I envy them their amiable avocation, but alas I seem to be cut from simpler cloth.

        Rod

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21 6:19 AM
          Hi Albi
          To our everlasting shame,we English,with abject innocence, treat most Irishmen as figures of fun.Much the same as our friends from Oz view their neighbours from New Zealand. Or the Northern states of USA see their counterparts in the Southern States. For example see Lauren Caitlin Upton's remarks which caused such a furore on the internet.(Sorry Lauren,you're female so youse is OK in my book girl)

          There was the tale of the man from New York describing a girl he met in the South who would have been considered rather homely in the North:
          1st N.Y.man: I hooked up with this girl from South Carolina.
          2nd N.Y. man: "Was she hot?
          1st N.Y. man: "She was Northern pretty"

          But back to the Anglo/Irish innocent drollery:
          Paddy: "That London is a great place"
          Mike: " How'd you make that to be?"
          Paddy: "If you go into a bar, they'll treat you to drinks all night
          then take you to their home and let you sleep over.And in the morning, they'll give you twenty pounds towards your fare home"
          Mike: "Wow, that's great. Did that happen to you"?
          Paddy; " No but it did to my eighteen year old sister".

          My Oz friends tell me if you want to see a NewZealander happy on a Monday morning, you should tell him a joke on Saturday night.

          They say "Love makes the world go round" I would substitute love with laughter. It's awfully difficult to shoot a man who makes you laugh so much you suffer from stitches in your sides as you roll about on the floor with uncontrollable cachinnation.

          Have a happy Sunday Albi