’Tis, But Rhetoric, More Patently Brittle.

  • Bernard d
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2011

      'Tis, But Rhetoric, More Patently Brittle.

      I care not, for the rhetoric, that political aspirations bring,

      the virtue of such best left, to some receptive urban throng.

      Where, are bees and butterflies, massed birds, on the wing,

      I miss subtleties of Nature, and sense, something is wrong.

      Not wisdom of the ancient, nor a proclamation to achieve,

      but merely one bushman's considered comment and lament.

      I echo not words of prophets, for Nature's plight, I grieve,

      I have seen her bounty plundered, a pillage, without relent.

      The brevity of one lifespan allows one time to contemplate,

      just how this planet is changing by a patterning of seasons.

      I foresee changed environs but to cycles past, I must relate,

      flood and drought altered and I sense we grant the reasons.

      A meagre instant in eternity maybe all my lifetime spanned,

      but a bushman's heart beats in tune to rhythms of the wild.

      As I note these changes I feel Nature pleads we understand,

      sorrow at the probability, our failings may not be reconciled.

      These ring as patent words, tired and oft' aired I do concede,

      that they bear the banner of sincerity, appears to mean little.

      I hear the classic proclamations promising neglect, to impede.

      Forgive me, for I wryly smile, at words more patently brittle…

      ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva…Sunday, July 17th, 2011.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2011
        Hi Bernie
        The eloquence with which you berate the current strain of homo sapiens is well deserved but unfortunately it usually falls on deaf ears.
        It seems the current attitude is: we are only here for at most one hundred years so let's make the most of what we have. Never mind those who follow n our footsteps. What does it matter if our carbon footprints resemble the imprints of a yeti. Are we not entitled to make hay while the sun shines?
        Why concern ourselves with the global warming of our progeny of the distant future. By their days science should have all the answers so drink up; fill the tank with petroleum; let's have a feast on Nature before she cuts off our supplies.
        When I read of the de-forestation of the Amazon rain forest, a major source of our planet's oxygen supply, I become heavy hearted for my grandchildren and their children.
        So how do we redress this sad situation? World wars are not the answer and haven't been since the gun replaced the bow and arrow and the cudgel.
        Over population is the cause and it seems to me Nature's only response is a plague of global proportions to cull mankind without fear or favour, allowing an Adam and Eve to restore the status quo of the Garden of Eden.
        That's my gripe over for a Sunday afternoon.