Rio (2011)

  • jameskettering
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2011
      Blue Sky Studios has always made some leaps in the field of animation with their movies. With the "Ice Age" franchise, we took a look at how world was like thousands of years ago. And with "Robots" and "Horton Hears a Who", we saw fantasy and science fiction collide. But with their recent film "Rio", Blue Sky Studios gives a new definition to the term color. The film is vibrant in its animation, but could have provided a better story. "Rio" is fun to look at, but that's the only thing to keep you interested.

      The plot of the movie follows Blu (voiced by Jessie Eisenburg) who is a blue macaw and lives as a pet with bookstore owner Linda (Leslie Mann). One day, a scientist from Rio de Janeiro named Tulio (Rodrigo Santoro) finds Blu and asks Linda to come with him for a special project. For it turns out, Blu is the last male of his species and must mate with a female named Jewel (voiced by Anne Hathaway). Unfortunately, both Blu and Jewel don't get along and are captured by smugglers. They escape only to learn that Blu cannot fly. So Blu and Jewel wander in Rio as they try to teach Blu how to fly and come to terms with each other.

      "Rio" is a stunning film with great visuals from beginning to end. The filmmakers got the location of Rio de Janeiro down perfectly. The music in the film is also a treat with original selections sung by Jamie Foxx and Will.i.am in which they also provide voices for the movie. Finally, the movie is a visual treat that needs to be seen on the big screen. But with the good things coming is the negative aspects of the film.

      The story is quite interesting but it could have dealt better in expanding the relationship between Blu and Jewel. If you're trying to create a love story, at the beginning make the two leads interesting enough so that they can eventually form a bond. Another disappointment of the film is the cast. While some cast members are good like George Lopez and Jemaine Clement, the rest of the cast is just doesn't entertain me as much, especially both Foxx and Will.i.am.

      Overall, "Rio" is an enjoyable film in the visual department, but could have done better in the story department. Blue Sky Studios has offered a good experience for the kids, as well as the adults, yet it needs to be improved. I would recommend this movie for people that like the art style of movies and something to take the kids to.

      How did I do with this movie review?