Happy to be here!

  • Gerry Merck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2011
      Greetings, all! Happy New Year, and thanks for letting me join your group.  My name is Gerry.  I am native North Carolinian now living in Utica, Nebraska. It is a sleepy little Midwestern town of 850.  That would be 849 Republicans.  It is surrounded - as far as the eye can see - by cornfields, and the driving  force of the community is its little high school. The weather here is wrong, even by the locals' standards, but especially assaults my Southern sensibilities. Last year it started snowing in mid-October and did not stop until the 1st week of April!  I haven't been here a very long time, but so far my experience has been mostly Mayberry RFD meets Children of the Corn in Sarah Palin's Alaska!  At any rate, I am hoping to make new friends in this group and get some helpful feedback.  Writing has become very important to my sanity.  I am a dually-credentialed psychotherapist in Lincoln, Nebraska.  I am both a mental health therapist and a substance abuse counselor - which means I work with mentally ill people who are also on drugs.  Schizophrenics on crack can be very challenging...and the clients we get are hard to work with, too!  Thanks for accepting me to your group!  I will send my first piece of work shortly!
      Gerry

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2011
        Dear Gerry,

        Welcome to ticket2write. I suspect I am the only other person here who has actually been to Utica. It's close to Seward, one of my favorite towns in Nebraska. I lived in Martell, in Lancaster County, which is a little smaller than Utica.

        I frequently post messages here about literary and poetry events in Lincoln and environs. I hope you will find them useful. When I lived in Nebraska, I was often asked what brought me there. "Witness Protection Program" was usually the best response! Nobody ever questioned that.

        Enjoy ticket2write, we are glad to have you with us.

        Suzianne