Trails - Part VII

  • David Roth
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2010

      How to count the days of my trail?

      How to number the steps of my trial?

      How to see whether triumph or travail

      awaits me at my journey’s end?

      I keep time the old way

      with the speeding race

      of Apollo’s chariot across the sky

      and fix my position by the passing

      of Polaris and Orion’s belt.

      I drink when I thirst,

      I eat when I hunger,

      I rest when weariness overcomes me.

      I carry on until the muse who prods

      my restless bones with the electric sting of wanderlust

      tells me I have arrived; my journey

      into the unknown is complete,

      the flight of driven fancy fulfilled.

      The forest grows scant as I climb upward

      in my southerly quest,

      the maple, oak, and ask replaced

      by long needled firs

      and fragrant wax-green leafed

      flowering bushes.

      Wild raspberry gives way to huckleberry,

      and as the valley deepens,

      or perhaps it is the trail that rises,

      the mist is my one constant companion.

      I hear the approach of thunder.

      The wind becomes itself a foe to be conquered

      its weapons the blinding wash of torrential rain,

      searing flash of laser bolts,

      the explosive roar thunder and wind,

      and the gun-shot rattle of frozen bullets

      that strip the skin from tree and bush

      and creature foolish enough to stare

      into its raging face.

      I hide, shivering and shuddering

      from the tempestuous tantrum

      in the belly of a hollowed pine

      whose towering height

      and gluttonous girth

      have somehow managed

      to withstand the maelstrom

      as if by some unknown bit

      of natural wisdom carried

      to its slender green-tipped fingers

      whispers into the shadows,

      this, too shall pass.

      David Roth

      Tampa Writing Examiner

      Obscurities BLOG

      727-505-8260

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2010
        Hi David
        I'm joining you all the way on your Trails and enjoying each and every mile.
        However,if only to prove your work is read to its conclusion, I feel bound to point out a couple of possible errors you may have missed.
        Stanza 4: "Maple oak an ASK" should that be ASH?
        Stanza 5:"The explosive roar thunder and wind" I believe 'OF' should be inserted between roar and thunder.
        If I'm wrong please forgive
        As Always
        Wings.

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "David Roth" <davidjroth2002@...> wrote:

        > How to count the days of my trail?
        >
        > How to number the steps of my trial?
        >
        > How to see whether triumph or travail
        >
        > awaits me at my journey's end?
        >

        > I keep time the old way
        >
        > with the speeding race
        >
        > of Apollo's chariot across the sky
        >
        > and fix my position by the passing
        >
        > of Polaris and Orion's belt.
        >

        > I drink when I thirst,
        >
        > I eat when I hunger,
        >
        > I rest when weariness overcomes me.
        >
        > I carry on until the muse who prods
        >
        > my restless bones with the electric sting of wanderlust
        >
        > tells me I have arrived; my journey
        >
        > into the unknown is complete,
        >
        > the flight of driven fancy fulfilled.
        >

        > The forest grows scant as I climb upward
        >
        > in my southerly quest,
        >
        > the maple, oak, and ask replaced
        >
        > by long needled firs
        >
        > and fragrant wax-green leafed
        >
        > flowering bushes.
        >
        > Wild raspberry gives way to huckleberry,
        >
        > and as the valley deepens,
        >
        > or perhaps it is the trail that rises,
        >
        > the mist is my one constant companion.
        >

        > I hear the approach of thunder.
        >
        > The wind becomes itself a foe to be conquered
        >
        > its weapons the blinding wash of torrential rain,
        >
        > searing flash of laser bolts,
        >
        > the explosive roar thunder and wind,
        >
        > and the gun-shot rattle of frozen bullets
        >
        > that strip the skin from tree and bush
        >
        > and creature foolish enough to stare
        >
        > into its raging face.
        >

        > I hide, shivering and shuddering
        >
        > from the tempestuous tantrum
        >
        > in the belly of a hollowed pine
        >
        > whose towering height
        >
        > and gluttonous girth
        >
        > have somehow managed
        >
        > to withstand the maelstrom
        >
        > as if by some unknown bit
        >
        > of natural wisdom carried
        >
        > to its slender green-tipped fingers
        >
        > whispers into the shadows,
        >
        > this, too shall pass.
        >

        > David Roth
        >
        > <http://www.examiner.com/writing-in-tampa-bay/david-roth> Tampa Writing
        > Examiner
        >
        > <http://obscurities2010.blogspot.com/> Obscurities BLOG
        >
        > 727-505-8260

      • David Roth
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2010
          You are correct, as always, my liege. I hate it when I miss such obvious
          things before clicking send. Thanks.