Re: Yesterday, When I was Young - A Poem (David 39940)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2010
      Hi David

      Ah yes! when we were young. Way before health and safety restrictions
      spoilt our pleasures. Those days when PC was a friendly police constable, before political correctness entered our vocabulary.

      So we fell down and grazed our knees. We seldom complained for that was the scars of growing up and if we did complain the nurse would pour neat iodine onto the wound, which gave considerably more pain than the original injury. So we rarely complained but put a hanky over the blooded area and pulled up our socks to hold the dressing in place.

      Regarding innocence, perhaps that Irish lady, Elizabeth Bowen was on the right lines when she wrote: "It is not only our fate but our business to lose innocence, and once we have lost that, it is futile to attempt a picnic in Eden."