Summer - A Poem

  • David Roth
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010

      Summer

      By David Roth

      © 1st September, 2010

       In three weeks

      It will be official.

      The windswept coming of autumn

      begins its colorful dance

      while summer fades like a shimmering mirage

      that glistens in the middle of a lonely country road

      at the height of a steamy July day.

      Mighty storms roll off

      the far away African coast

      as if to silence of the coming season

      in the spinning din of a maelstrom

      of wind and rain

      and lay claim to endless summer,

      but as the mighty tropical cyclones

      and their multi-ethnic,

      gender inclusive names

      pound the sands

      with summer’s final stranglehold

      the proclamation has been made.

      Summer, with its baseball,

      hot dogs, apple pie and convertibles,

      with the single flip of a calendar page

      begins a stubborn exit,

      and the audience waits in anxious anticipation

      while the hot lights of summer fade

      and the cast of an new production

      slowly sets the changing stage.

      “To every thing there is a season,

      and a time to every purpose under the heaven.”

      Ecclesiastes 3:1

    • Amy Rissna Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010

        That was beautifully written, David. I wish I could describe the seasons as well as you can. Amy.

        Amy

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
          Dear David,

          This poem is certainly right on time. It's a good lead into September.

          There seems to be a style switch starting with the line, "Summer, with its baseball..." which make me want to see what follows developed into a seperate poem. It has a more modern, direct approach than what goes before it. When I read it aloud, I feel a harder, more emphatic tone and pace. Could you have two poems here?

          Suzianne

          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "David Roth" <davidjroth2002@...> wrote:

          > Summer
          >
          > By David Roth
          >
          > C 1st September, 2010
          >

          > In three weeks
          >
          > It will be official.
          >

          > The windswept coming of autumn
          >
          > begins its colorful dance
          >
          > while summer fades like a shimmering mirage
          >
          > that glistens in the middle of a lonely country road
          >
          > at the height of a steamy July day.
          >

          > Mighty storms roll off
          >
          > the far away African coast
          >
          > as if to silence of the coming season
          >
          > in the spinning din of a maelstrom
          >
          > of wind and rain
          >
          > and lay claim to endless summer,
          >

          > but as the mighty tropical cyclones
          >
          > and their multi-ethnic,
          >
          > gender inclusive names
          >
          > pound the sands
          >
          > with summer's final stranglehold
          >

          > the proclamation has been made.
          >
          > Summer, with its baseball,
          >
          > hot dogs, apple pie and convertibles,
          >
          > with the single flip of a calendar page
          >
          > begins a stubborn exit,
          >
          > and the audience waits in anxious anticipation
          >
          > while the hot lights of summer fade
          >
          > and the cast of an new production
          >
          > slowly sets the changing stage.
          >

          > "To every thing there is a season,
          >
          > and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
          >
          > Ecclesiastes 3:1

        • David Roth
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
            Suzianne,

            I struggled with the last four lines before the verse from Ecclesiastes,
            because that's where it seemed to change for me, but I see what you mean.
            Or, perhaps doing this as below?

            Dave

            while summer fades like a shimmering mirage

            that glistens in the middle of a lonely country road

            at the height of a steamy July day.

            Mighty storms roll off

            the far away African coast

            as if to silence of the coming season

            in the spinning din of a maelstrom

            of wind and rain

            and lay claim to endless summer,

            but as the mighty tropical cyclones

            and their multi-ethnic,

            gender inclusive names

            pound the sands

            with summer's final stranglehold

            the proclamation has been made.

            II.

            Summer, with its baseball,

            hot dogs, apple pie and convertibles,

            with the single flip of a calendar page

            begins a stubborn exit,

            and the audience waits in anxious anticipation

            while the hot lights of summer fade

            and the cast of an new production

            slowly sets the changing stage.

            "To every thing there is a season,

            and a time to every purpose under the heaven."

            Ecclesiastes 3:1

            <* Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <* To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <* To change settings via email:
            ticket2write-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ticket2write-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            <* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            <* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            02:34:00
          • David Roth
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010