Re: Scattered Thoughts on Writing - BLOG for 11th August, 2010 David 39883)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2010
      To all serious aspiring writers.

      Whilst seconding all that which David has written I will add: Never ever admit to `Writer's Block'
      Pick up your pen or sit at your keyboard and write the first sentence entering your mind.
      "The cat sat on the mat". Explain why the cat sat on the mat.
      Expand to: Tabby sat upright on the mat and listened with his ear to the door at the rough growl on the other side which told him Butch the German Shepherd was still stalking him.
      OK, so it's kids stuff, rubbish, but it is writing and keeps the pen moving across the paper.
      Now substitute the cat for the hero who is being pursued by an armed intruder:
      James winced as perspiration coursed down his forehead into his eyes. The heavy oak door which for generations had protected the castle occupants from the Norse invaders would now be tested against modern explosives.
      In a garret close by the battlements, Madeline crouched inside a priest-hole where centuries before Royalists hid from the wrath of Cromwell's Roundheads.

      Be a word gardener. You have the ground prepared, now erect a trellis to support the wisteria and watch the tendrils grip tightly as they climb to the heavens. Witness the delicate petals as the spring welcomes summer. Maybe a sudden cold snap will cause the plant to wither slightly. Cut off the dead heads and re-write.
      Will the invader gain entrance? Is our hero to be slain this early in the saga? Will Madeline suffer rape and throw herself from the parapet in an agony of shame?
      I haven't a clue but I anticipate some action which I hope will show as well as tell me a yarn for a winter fireside.
      My point is: Start writing anything and revise or edit as the plot progresses. You have the power in your hands to give birth or bring death; to create heroes and/or heroines .With a pen in your hand you can be a god or a devil. So start right now.