July 4th MMX

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2010
      TheFourth of July

      I salute you, my American cousins, for you have made great strides since John Adams and company signed the declaration of Independence on July 2nd 1776 and threw off the cloak of tyranny imposed byKing George 3rd and The Kingdom of Great Britain.
      What was once a rag tag bunch of colonists have now transformed into a race of people with whom I would have no objection to sharing my table, providing you try to use the knife as well as the fork. (it's not really difficult once you become used to it) Also I would prefer you did not place your used gum to the underside of my dining board.
      I firmly believe we would get along better if you drove your cars on the correct side of the road and it would please me greatly if you adopted the lexicography of Dr. Samuel Johnson in preference to young Mr Webster. It riles me somewhat to write Harbor instead of the correct spelling Harbour, when addressing a missive to my dear little sister in Michigan. Also, could I please prevail upon you to Include the letter 'U' in words ending with `OR'. I would consider it a `favoUr if you grace your communications with a `U' turn adding a little coloUr to your terminology.
      I am cognisant of the fact you look upon the Brits as stuck in the mud Victorians who only tolerate you in times of war but let's be honest about this:
      Are we not the same as you?
      To paraphrase the Bard of Avon (Merchant of Venice):
      "Hath not a Brit hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions, fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as an American is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

      I admit we will meet one another in the street without passing the time of day and due to our topographical position we are obsessed with the ever changing meteorological conditions of an island. There also exists a North-South divide, made evident when England plays sport with teams from overseas, during which games the Scots become most vociferous cheering for the foreigners.
      Yet with all our admitted faults we count The US of A our closest allies and are aware that but for America's assistance during two World Wars, "This happy breed of men, this little world, this precious stone set in the silver sea, blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England," might now be an enclave of the Third Reich ground under the jackboot of our Nazi masters.
      You may be interested to know what this irascible old Cornishman thinks of the U S of A. Then again you may not, but I'm going to tell you anyway.
      I first encountered the Yanks during WW2 when the general consensus of opinion of the average GI was: They were overpaid, oversexed and over here.
      Personally, I did not consider that a fair judgement of Americans as visitors invited to my country. They had not the slightest effect on my love life at that time and girls all over the world will always take an interest in an exotic male.
      One of my female cousins used to court an Italian POW through the boundary wires of the prison camp. They eventually married after the war and had a family.
      Then I was sent to Oklahoma, via Canada and spent an interesting nine months instruction on the intricacies of wartime aviation. Whilst there, my fellow cadets and I were treated to more kindness than we had experienced for many a year in war-torn Britain.
      Before you ask, yes I did have a girl friend, Sue M***h, a student at the local college but I can assure you I treated her with the utmost respect I have always reserved for ladies the world over.
      These days, most of my extended family are American, either by choice or birth and you may rest assured you will be hard pressed to find a more sincere friend and ally of your country than:
      Wings081 of t2w.