Dark Chocolate

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2010
      Dear t2w members.

      The ladies of t2w have often written of their love for chocolate and indeed I also am rather partial to that delicious aphrodisiac, especially the dark bars with a minimum of 70% cocoa. Maybe a little bitter at the first taste for the uninitiated but once the taste-buds become accustomed you will seldom revert to the tasteless milky variety.
      For the following words I am obligated to Eric Steinman of Rhinebeck N.Y. a free lance writer about food among other subjects:
      Cacao Beans:
      "Cacao, also known as the building blocks of chocolate, beyond being the source of one of the world's most beloved confections, is also revered as a powerhouse of cognitive enhancement, as well as a source of great mood and energy enhancement. It is also loaded with antioxidants, flavonoids, catechins and many other brain & body beneficial elements. Sadly, this does not give you license to go out and gorge yourself on chocolate. The benefits you may get from cacao beans can only be obtained by consuming high cacao percentage dark chocolate (at least 75% cacao) and not that sorry stuff marketed as milk chocolate."

      And so ladies and gents, if you are not already hooked on my favorite comestible,I commend it to you here as a "Powerhouse of cognitive enhancement"
      Happy gorging
    • Diva
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
        ::perk::

        Chocolate.....?

        WHERE???

        ooooh......the dark stuff.........yum

        :o)

        Marge

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
          Dear Marge

          I might have known that would have started your mouth watering
          with dark anticipation.
          I suppose you have heard our master chocolatiers Cadbury's are defecting to Uncle Sam's back yard.
          I trust you will treat the workers with the same respect as the Cadbury bosses did/do over here.
          Did you know a whole township was built for the factory workers.
          It was/is named Bourneville which is also the name given to their dark chocolate.
          A few years back I visited Cadbury's at Bourneville during a re-union
          with fellow cadets from our training school at Oklahoma.
          The production line,which I was viewing through a glass protection screen, suddenly stopped dead as I approached. I understand it re-started after I moved on.
          They bore me no ill-will and gave me a large box of Easter eggs to take home.

          Good to see you back on board young lady.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010

            Do I understand that Cadbury's chocolates are now being made in Oklahoma? I can walk to the Oklahoma state line from where I live! I love their fruit and nut bars. Of course, chocolate would melt all over me by the time I returned home. So, I better crank up the air conditioning in the car and drive.

            Now, if we could only entice Callard & Bowser to come to Arkansas, he he he.

            Suzianne

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #1

              Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get. ~ Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks)

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #2

              There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and chocolate truffles. ~ Anonymous

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #3

              Make a list of important things to do today. At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate.' Now, you'll get at least one thing done today. ~ Anonymous

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #4

              I never met a chocolate I didn't like. ~ Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis) in Star Trek: The Next Generation

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #5

              Give me chocolate and nobody has to die. ~ Unknown

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #6

              And above all... Think Chocolate! ~ 'Betty Crocker'

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #7

              The 12-step chocoholics program: NEVER BE MORE THAN 12 STEPS AWAY FROM CHOCOLATE! ~ Terry Moore

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #8

              All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~ Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #9

              Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. ~
              Michael Levine, nutrition researcher, as quoted in The Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and Mars

              Favorite Chocolate Quotes #10

              I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? ~ Unknown

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
                Dear Suzi
                Re: "do I understand Cadbury's chocolates are now being made in Oklahoma"
                A nice thought for you but my only mention of Oklahoma was the training school where I was taught to take to the skies and land in one piece.My fellow cadets and I from Miami OK arranged a re-union near Bournville and were invited to tour the village and works.

                Re."Callard & Bowser"
                There's a blast from the past.Awaiting the call to arms to repulse the beasly Hun,I was engaged in the manufacture of various aircraft parts at Park Royal, North London.
                Immediately next to my place of employment (Messrs Hoopers, the King's coach builders)was the factory of Callard & Bowser.
                Most of the workers on the production line were girls who, on their first week were told they could eat as many butterscotch and other sweet varieties as they liked.
                One week was enough,after which most girls hated the sight of the sticky sugary confections.

                I understand (courtesy of Google) C&B are now part of the Terrys-Suchard group who have discontinued C&B lines for the UK market.
                Sorry to read that as Callard & Bowser started production in 1837, the year Queen Victoria came to the throne.

                If you ever travel along the old route 66, there remains a section which passes through Miami OK and to the North a couple of miles you will see what is left of my old training school,The Spartan School of Aeronautics.
                Keep munching the dark stuff.
                As ever
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
                  Dear Suzi
                  Please allow me to add another quote to your list:
                  "Forget the flowers,the bottles of perfume,the theatre tickets and the dinner in a posh restaurant. Give the girl of your dreams a plentiful supply of dark chocolate and she will be like putty in your hands" Wings081.2010
                • David Roth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
                    Counselor Troi also once said "Chocolate is not merely eaten...it is
                    experienced."

> [...]

                    a free lance writer about food among other subjects:
                    > Cacao Beans:
                    > "Cacao, also known as the building blocks of chocolate, beyond being the
                    source of one of the world's most beloved confections, is also revered as a
                    powerhouse of cognitive enhancement, as well as a source of great mood and
                    energy enhancement. It is also loaded with antioxidants, flavonoids,
                    catechins and many other brain & body beneficial elements. Sadly, this does
                    not give you license to go out and gorge yourself on chocolate. The benefits
                    you may get from cacao beans can only be obtained by consuming high cacao
                    percentage dark chocolate (at least 75% cacao) and not that sorry stuff
                    marketed as milk chocolate."

                    > And so ladies and gents, if you are not already hooked on my favorite
                    comestible,I commend it to you here as a "Powerhouse of cognitive

                    02:36:00
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
                      Hi David
                      Did not Deanna Troi also say:

                      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "David Roth" <davidjroth2002@...> wrote:

                      > Counselor Troi also once said "Chocolate is not merely eaten...it is
                      > experienced."

                    • David Roth
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
                        Yup!

                        ~
> [...]
                        > > Cacao Beans:
                        > > "Cacao, also known as the building blocks of chocolate, beyond being the
                        > source of one of the world's most beloved confections, is also revered as
                        > powerhouse of cognitive enhancement, as well as a source of great mood and
                        > energy enhancement. It is also loaded with antioxidants, flavonoids,
                        > catechins and many other brain & body beneficial elements. Sadly, this
                        does
                        > not give you license to go out and gorge yourself on chocolate. The
                        benefits
                        > you may get from cacao beans can only be obtained by consuming high cacao
                        > percentage dark chocolate (at least 75% cacao) and not that sorry stuff
                        > marketed as milk chocolate."
                        > >
                        > > And so ladies and gents, if you are not already hooked on my favorite
                        > comestible,I commend it to you here as a "Powerhouse of cognitive

                        02:36:00
                      • Diva
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010

                          I adore Cadbury's.  I am delighted to know that the supply lines will be shorter.

                          as ever,