Re: Birthday Reminder(Carol)

  • Jerry S
    Message 1 of 70 , May 1, 2010
      My dear Carol,

      As I'm sure you know, your birthday (May 1st) is filled with many traditional festivals. In ancient Britain, pagans celebrated this day as one of two important festivals which marked the division of the year into two halves. Today was (and still is) called Beltane. It marked the transition from spring into summer.

      Beltane had many observances and rights, but one of the most important was that of `new fire' where all fires in the village would be extinguished and then a new fire would be created for everyone to take back to their homes. Cattle would be driven through the smoke of the new fire to ward off disease. Lovers would jump through the flames to bring themselves good luck for the year.

      When the Romans arrived they brought their own festival, that of Floralia or Florifertum. This festival was dedicated to the Flora the goddess of flowers and plants. It was celebrated with food, drink, dancing and flowers, flowers, flowers. (smile)

      My birthday wish for you is that you have good luck throughout the coming year and your special day is filled with food, drink, dancing, flowers and loved ones. Happy Birthday Carol.

      As always,
      Jerry

      Message 70 of 70 , May 10, 2012
        Jerry you old son of a gun,
        Excellent choice of poem. Thank you for that.

        I sincerely trust my reference to 'Whipper snapper' was not taken in a derogatory sense.It was meant as an alternative to the Brit forces term: "Get some in" which was used towards any new boys on the squadron.
        Another similar appelation when we were posted to suuny climes
        was: "Moon men" due to the paleness of our skin compared to the bronze adonises who had been working in the relentless heat nearer the Equator.
        Determined to blend in with the time servers,I had the tailor cut my knee length khaki shorts nearer the tops of my thighs, to expose white flesh to the Sun yet remain within the realms of decency.
        Overdid the tanning somewhat and ended up in sick bay with heat stroke.Water was taken and treated from the sea and although potable
        we had to lace it with Ovaltine to make it acceptable to the palate.
        Thankfully, American forces had been through on an earlier occasion and had installed a form of air-conditioning by welding together
        metal boxes and piping.

        I missed the Nam conflict but I almost did enlist into our Royal Navy.
        Tired of waiting for pilot training, I heard a rumour the Navy were recruting pilots for their carriers. I volunteered but before I was called for interview,I was posted to the Spartan Scool of Aeronautics at the town of Miami in Oklahoma where I underwent a crash (not to be taken literally)course of pilot training.
        That was one of the most memorable phases of my life and one which has forever endeared me to the British association with the US of A.

        My elder sister married a US airman and became one of the renowned GI brides. Following that, a younger brother emigrated as also did my little sister, which means a large part of my immediate family are American citizens, either by choice or birthright.

        So,I'm sure you will appreciate why I allow no living soul to 'bad mouth' America within my hearing.

        Lunch call. GOTO go my good friend
        As Always