Re: Happy Birthday Carol ! (Richard)

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2009
      Hey Richard,
      Thanks for the good wishes. Now aren't you the bold one, asking my age! I'll let you do the math...can't make it too darn easy. Birthdate: 5/1/1957
      Carol

      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2009
        Dear Carol

        Courtesy of Google,the following lists the happenings of 1957.
        However a most important event of that Baby Boom Year escapes mention:
        It was the year our very own Carol took her first look around our world.I wonder, had she known back, then what a mess her predecessors had made of this planet,whether she might have changed her mind about sharing our environment and gurgled "Beam me up Scotty".

        1957
        It was the best of times……
        It was the worst of times…..

        • It was the year Sputnik I and II were launched.
        • It was the year schools in Little Rock Arkansas were forcibly integrated.
        • Eisenhower was starting his second term as US President.
        • Elvis was doing his thing.
        • The Cold War was in full swing.
        • The 57 Chevy was the car of choice.
        • Joe McCarthy(held Senate Communism hearings) died, as did Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie author).
        • The country of Ghana won its independence.
        • The country of Malaya attained sovereignty.
        • Hank Aaron was the National League's most valuable player.
        • The Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) was organized.
        • Richfield Oil established Alaska's first commercially viable oil production on the Swanson River.
        • Steve Allen was the host of "The Tonight Show."
        • The Teamsters Union was expelled from the AFL-CIO due to charges of corruption.
        • "West Side Story" opened on Broadway.
        • The International Geophysical Year (57 - 58) brought about a great amount of research into the environment.
        • The International Atomic Energy Agency was established to oversee the development and spread of nuclear technology and materials.
        • In the Middle East, the Suez Canal was closed due to conflicts.
        • Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn starred in Funny Face.
        • "I Love Lucy" was in its last year on TV. (Original episodes)
        • The "European Economic Community" (EEC) was established.
        • Willy Brandt became mayor of WestBerlin.
        • Humphrey Bogart died.
        • Daniel Bovet won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for his research into antihistamines.
        • "Bloom County" cartoonist Berkeley Breathed was born.
        • Antarctica explorer Richard Byrd died.
        • Albert Camus won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
        • Dr. Seuss wrote The Cat in the Hat.
        • Mao Tse Tung was in power in China
        • Juan Batista was in control in Cuba.
        • John Diefenbaker was Prime Minister of Canada.
        • US Congress passed the Civil Rights Act.
        • "Papa Doc" Francois Duvalier was elected President of Haiti.
        • Anthony Eden resigned as Prime Minister of England and was replaced by Harold MacMillan.
        • Gamal Abdel Nasser was elected President of Egypt.
        • The first commercial nuclear reactor was opened in Shippingport, PA.
        • The "Everly Brothers" released their hit single Wake Up Little Susie.

        Here are some links to sites dealing with 1957:
        Baby Boom Year 1957
        TIGERX.COM - This Day in History
        The Political Graveyard Politicians Who Were Born or Died in 1957
        The Nuclear Fifties
        The International Geophysical Year, 1957-1958
        The Fifties Web
        The Fifties Course Home Page
        Teun's 1957 Dutch Stamps
        Special Events for the Year 1957
        History Channel
        Gil Asakawa's 1957 TimeLine
        Excite - The Academy Awards 1957
        Event Chronology 1957
        A Collector 1950S-A-HEAD
        Baby Boom Year 1957

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carol_emt87@...> wrote:

        > Hey Richard,
        > Thanks for the good wishes. Now aren't you the bold one, asking my age! I'll let you do the math...can't make it too darn easy. Birthdate: 5/1/1957
        > Carol
        >
        > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Bates" <icyimeir@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes, happy birthday to you Carol. So how old are you now then?

        > > -- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Diva <the_only_data_diva@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm probably the last one to chime in but that makes my wishes for a Happy Birthday no less sincere, dear friend.
        > > >
        > > > Hope you had flowers, expensive chocolate and premium ice cream with your cake.
        > > >

        > > > Marge

      • Richard J. Bates
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2009
          I thought that would get a rise out of you. (HA)
          Well ...and you acquiesced! A double blessing to you for your candidness.