H.I.P. The Hollywood Institute of Poetics presents Black & Tan with Kim Calder & Karen Harryman

  • Rafael Alvarado
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 25, 2009

      H.I.P.
      The Hollywood Institute of Poetics
      presents
      Black & Tan

      hosted by
      Robert Juarez
      Department Of The Armed Forces of Artistic Endeavor
      &
      Bryan Sanders
      Department of Urbane Renewal And Development

      Stories Books
      Friday March 27 @ 8pm

      Plus open reading sign up 730
      7 open readers max

      Featuring
      Kim Calder
      Karen Harryman

      Stories
      1716 Sunset Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90026
      (213) 413 3733
      bios Kim Calder received her Master’s degree in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University and her Bachelor’s in English from the University of California at Berkeley in Contemporary Poetry and Fiction. Published in various nationally distributed literary journals and author of four chapbooks, her first collection of poems was released by Writ Large Press (Los Angeles) in 2008.  She has been a member of the Los Angeles Poets and Writers Collective since the year 2000, and has participated in numerous spoken word events across the country.  She teaches writing workshops internationally, and is available for individual consultation or editing projects.

      Karen Harryman’s poems have appeared in Alaska Quarterly, Los Angeles Review, Verse Daily, and The Cortland Review as well as other print and online journals. Auto Mechanic’s Daughter, her first book of poetry, was selected by Chris Abani for the Black Goat Poetry Series Imprint with Akashic Books, 2007. Before moving to Los Angeles she lived and worked in Kentucky for most of her life. She and her husband are raising their two-year-old daughter in Silver Lake.

      next month
      at EasySpeak
      Hosted by
      A. Razor
       Inspector General of Spiritual Reinforcement And Recovery

      Friday April 10th @ 8pm
      Featuring
      Peggy Dobreer
      Kate Durbin
      Olga Garcia
      Melora Walters

      next month

      Black & Tan
      April 24
      Friday  @ 8pm
      Luis Alfaro
      Brendan Constantine
      Gabriela Jauregui
      Cati Porter

      On
      June 7 Sunday at 4pm
      The High
      Priest
      Of Cheese
      Brendan Constantine
      Will Host
      B.H. Fairchild

      Coming July 3
      the Wandering Uterus Tour.
      Marty McConnell
      Andi Strickland
      Also
      Brendan Constintine
      &
      Corrie Greathouse

          I Like this quote I dislike this quote“The test of whether it's poetry is: does it sound beautiful when you say the words over, in your mind or your voice, with no skilled performer, no music, just the sounds and meanings in the words themselves,”
      Robert Pinsky

      Rafael F J Alvarado
      H.I.P., Hollywood Institute of Poetics
       Emperor of Hustle And Flow
      Producer The World Wide Word Radio Network
      Host Of The Moe Green Poetry Hour
      http://www.blogtalkradio.com/onword/page/3
      3110 Broadway
      L A Ca 90031

      323 441 1963
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
        Hi Rafael

        So many times submissions by members trigger off memories of my past.
        I can't let your reference to "Black & Tan" go without mention;
        You will know the following but I continue for the benefit of others:
        Around 1920 a section of the Irish were giving the authorities a whole heap of trouble and so the UK government advertised for men to undertake the dangerous task of assisting the Royal Irish Constabulary in putting down any uprisings.
        This was just after the end of WW1 when soldiers returning from war could find no employment...
        Those who were accepted wore; (due to shortage of RIC uniforms) Khaki uniform bottoms of the British army with the black tops of the R.IC.Hence the name given them by the dissidents: 'Black and Tans'. They numbered over 8,000 and a great number of these were murdered.

        Now to the second part of my story:
        Black and Tan is a mixed drink of ale and stout. Pale English ale and black Irish Guiness.
        Take a pint glass and half fill with pale ale, then using a spoon under the beer tap, gently roll the Guiness on the top of the ale. They won't mix until disturbed by drinking.

        Now I would be very circumspect at asking for a Black and Tan when in the Emerald Isle but I have used the term in my local hostelry during my service days if I was in earshot of any Irish comrades.
        Well, the war was over and I missed the excitement so I usually made my own diversions from the humdrum life of peacetime service of one's country.

        Still on the subject of alcohol, I wonder how many members have experienced the liquid delight of Irish Coffee.
        It can be bought by bottle as Baileys Irish Cream which is Irish Whiskey and cream flavoured with coffee which Baileys launched as late as 1974.
        However I used to make it before that date:
        I owned and ran a small country hotel with licensed bar, not a mile from my present abode.
        Most of the seasonal visitors were return customers from past years and became close friends.
        One summer evening gathered around the bar, someone suggested a dip in the swimming pool.
        OK I said, I'll put on the floodlights and underwater lights.
        Some went to their rooms for swim costumes but those without, stripped to their undies and dived in.
        Now, it had been a hot day with clear skies and so there was no cloud cover to retain the heat and the evening was decidedly chilly. the pool was solar heated but cooled down in the evening.

        Not wishing to have my guests bedridden with a chill I made them what I called Irish Coffee.
        My Recipe: Pour a full jigger of Irish Whiskey into a glass of black coffee with a spoonful of Demerara sugar now pour lightly whipped cream over the back of a spoon to form a top layer.
        I can assure you, a couple of those and nobody complained of the cold
        but many were bleary-eyed at breakfast next morning.

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Alvarado <md84rfja65@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Priest
        >
        > Of Cheese
        > Brendan Constantine
        > Will Host
        > B.H. Fairchild
        >
        > Coming July 3
        > the Wandering Uterus Tour.
        > Marty McConnell
        > Andi Strickland
        > Also
        > Brendan Constintine
        > &
        > Corrie Greathouse
        >
        >      “The test of whether it's poetry is: does it sound beautiful when you say the words over, in your mind or your voice, with no skilled performer, no music, just the sounds and meanings in the words themselves,”Robert Pinsky
        >
        > Rafael F J Alvarado
        > H.I.P., Hollywood Institute of Poetics
        >  Emperor of Hustle And Flow
        > Producer The World Wide Word Radio Network

      • Rafael Alvarado

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
            Dear Wings...With the time difference, I read your message at ten o'clock in the morning which is my usual time for a coffee break. There's not a drop of Jamison's in the house, or I would be tempted to brew a pot of coffee and invite the lady next door over for a cup of Irish coffee. I've never tried it with Baily's, but that sounds like perfection.

            Regarding the Black and Tan...I have seen that done at Dirty Nellie's back in Illinois, but never wanted to spoil a good glass of Guiness with ale. I am certain there are curative powers to Guiness (or, perhaps it makes you forget what was bothering you.

            Cheers!

            Suzianne

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
              Dear Suzi

              Never mind the Baileys, which is ready-mixed.
              When you invite the lady next door, get a bottle of Bushmills 16 yrs old rare single malt and start from there.
              King James 1st granted the original license for Bushmills distillery in County Antrim in April 1608 and it is claimed to be the World's oldest distillery.
              "Cheers indeed"

              As ever

              Wings

              --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > Priest
              > > >
              > > > Of Cheese
              > > > Brendan Constantine
              > > > Will Host
              > > > B.H. Fairchild
              > > >
              > > > Coming July 3
              > > > the Wandering Uterus Tour.
              > > > Marty McConnell
              > > > Andi Strickland
              > > > Also
              > > > Brendan Constintine
              > > > &
              > > > Corrie Greathouse
              > > >
              > > >      “The test of whether it's poetry is: does it sound beautiful when you say the words over, in your mind or your voice, with no skilled performer, no music, just the sounds and meanings in the words themselves,”Robert Pinsky
              > > >
              > > > Rafael F J Alvarado
              > > > H.I.P., Hollywood Institute of Poetics
              > > >  Emperor of Hustle And Flow
              > > > Producer The World Wide Word Radio Network

            • rede2rollbaby
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
                G'day Wings,
                Crikey, all of these classic overseas tipples,
                and not one mention, of Vulgar Colonials or the Antipodes!

                One old drover once told me, Rum and Milk,
                back of beyond outback style, was a grand winter drop...
                The OP Rum, is the easy part...Finding the accomodating
                mare with young foal is the harder part of the formula...
                Cheers Mate,
                Bernie...

                -- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@...> wrote:

                > Dear Suzi
                >
                > Never mind the Baileys, which is ready-mixed.
                > When you invite the lady next door, get a bottle of Bushmills 16 yrs old rare single malt and start from there.
                > King James 1st granted the original license for Bushmills distillery in County Antrim in April 1608 and it is claimed to be the World's oldest distillery.
                > "Cheers indeed"
                >
                > As ever
                >
                > Wings

              • David Roth
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
                  It's Sean Dillon's favorite libation.

                  d.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
                    Hi Bernie
                    And the top of the morning to you my friend.
                    Re "Rum and milk a grand winter drop"

                    I had a rather distressing experience with rum.
                    It was like this; I was stationed at a place called Mingaladon in Burma (Present day Myanmar)and there was a serious bout of influenza around, so to protect we aircrew, Navy rum could be had for no charge in the mess.
                    This rum was as black as treacle and nobody took up their share.
                    However it didn't go to waste as my wireles op and I spent a pleasant evening emptying glasses courtesy of the establishment.
                    All went well until the bar closed and we wended (staggered) our way back to our sleeping quarters, which were accommodated in a straw basha.
                    We stood by our charpoys (beds) and in perfect unison collapsed in two heaps without bothering to pull down the mosquito nets.
                    Neither of us were bitten and on the plus side, neither of us caught the flu or any other terrible lurgy going the rounds.

                    Bernie old mate, you got me with one piece of your post:
                    "Finding the accommodating mare with foal is the harder part"
                    You lost me there and i don't like being lost.

                    --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "rede2rollbaby" <rede2rollbaby@...> wrote:

                    > G'day Wings,
                    > Crikey, all of these classic overseas tipples,
                    > and not one mention, of Vulgar Colonials or the Antipodes!
                    >
                    > One old drover once told me, Rum and Milk,
                    > back of beyond outback style, was a grand winter drop...
                    > The OP Rum, is the easy part...Finding the accomodating
                    > mare with young foal is the harder part of the formula...
                    > Cheers Mate,
                    > Bernie...
                    >
                    > -- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dear Suzi
                    > >
                    > > Never mind the Baileys, which is ready-mixed.
                    > > When you invite the lady next door, get a bottle of Bushmills 16 yrs old rare single malt and start from there.
                    > > King James 1st granted the original license for Bushmills distillery in County Antrim in April 1608 and it is claimed to be the World's oldest distillery.
                    > > "Cheers indeed"
                    > >
                    > > As ever
                    > >
                    > > Wings

                  • rede2rollbaby
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
                      G'day Wings,
                      Rum...and Milk.
                      Mare's milk...No supermarket shelves
                      or dairy way out there, but I am told,
                      sometimes, one of the drover's mares
                      carried and delivered, on the trek...
                      Some of that old Overproof Rum, was a
                      little less than smooth, but a bit of
                      available milk was said to remedy this.
                      Cannot personally attest, to milk of an
                      equine connection, but a bovine variety
                      proves most satisfactory...
                      Cheers, Old Son,
                      Bernie...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 28, 2009
                        Hi Bernie
                        Mare's milk?? Well I suppose any port in a storm when your throat is parched but the juice of Equus caballus would not be my cup of tea.

                        As a favour to a farmer, I once tried to encourage a cow to lactate.
                        All profession like, three legged stool and bright galvanised bucket.
                        Got hold of a teat and must have pinched rather than gently squeezed.
                        Resulting in a swift kick from said cow knocking over bucket of milk and sending me flying out of the stable door.
                        Thereafter decided to leave milking to those pretty milk maids of poetry book fame.

                        BTW have you ever tried BussyMilk pudding?
                        It is a favourite with farmers wives down here in the West Country.
                        Made from the first lactation of a cow after parturition.
                        It has a consistency of soft jelly, something like a rennet dish.

                        Cheers
                        Wings