DEATH OF THE LAUGHING MAN.

  • rede2rollbaby
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2009
      "DEATH OF THE LAUGHING MAN."

      Such a waste, not just to immediate family,
      to his close friends, but to the community.
      What dark depression festered unnoticed,
      he had always appeared such a vital being.
      He was a proud man, perhaps too intense.

      He seemed to laugh at the world's injustice,
      seemed sensitive, yet had a joke for everyone.
      He fooled us all, mislead himself too I guess,
      for he talked about everything, yet nothing.
      We were too absorbed by the facade to notice.

      We never observed anything but the portrayal,
      never questioned the reality of the performance.
      On reflection we should have been more astute,
      his world had contracted, and he felt valueless.
      Guess he assumed we never cared and concurred.

      I wonder what are such a man's last coherent thoughts,
      does the sheer enormity of depression justify all.
      Are his last thought of himself, or the eternal rest.
      I doubt it…Repentance or release…I doubt this too.
      Maybe remorse, for the effect on those who remain.
      Who knows why the laughing men kill themselves,
      the logic eludes the mirthless rational…at the time.

      ©.Copyright: Bernard de Silva.