KOWAHA, WOMAN OF THE LEAP.[For Manfred].

  • rede2rollbaby
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
      Bit of local history...

      North of Mackay, Queensland, near the Bruce Highway some fourteen
      miles from that city lies a low mountain, scene of a massacre of
      tribal natives by the native police. The area surrounding this
      mountain is known as "The Leap". The mountain, long ago known as
      Mount Mandarana, is now The Leap Mountain. Outside the hotel in the
      small valley below this mountain stands a statue of a native woman…

      "Kohawa, Woman Of The Leap."

      We scale you Mandarana, high upon your rocky summit,
      we are stealthy, the eagles stir not in their nest.
      Dawn will see dispersal, and vile murder on your crest,
      genocide, dusky brother upon brother.
      Mandarana, lowly mountain, where all spirits cannot rest.

      Do you hear us tribal brothers, all we turncoat renegades,
      we are coming, human blood hounds of the law.
      Fugitives, fear our arrival, we are not brothers as before,
      we mercenaries, with blood upon our hands.
      Warriors in exile, the white man's paid assassins evermore.

      We avengers are amongst you, and blood lust overtakes,
      our carbines firing, death blood on wielded stocks,
      Fugitives, you cannot flee, all avenues the carnage blocks...
      genocide, all save two slaughtered on the spot,
      Kohawa, child held to her breast, lone high upon the rocks.

      You stand Mount Mandarana, grey cliff facing to one side,
      we are coming, dusky Kohawa, there can be no escape,
      Dark sister, this is dispersal, a term for massacre and rape.
      Kohawa, we watch you leap toward oblivion...
      below, beyond the rock face, there lies your bloodied shape.

      There midst lantana, one survivor, the dusky orphaned waif,
      fate, and the white man, may allow her to survive.
      You care not Mandarana, who does perish, who might thrive.
      You remain unchanged, lowly mountain,
      mourn not Kohawa, nor dead victims, care not for ones alive.

      ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi Bernard.
        What an interesting glimpse into Australian history and the genocidal
        campaign to wipe out the native population.
        Sadly, ruling out Genghis Khan and others of that era, most massacres
        of indigenous peoples in newly discovered lands have been executed (I
        use that word advisedly) by Europeans.
        We supported the North American Indian Holocaust since 1492, started
        by Columbus.
        A boatload of devout Englishmen made a landing in present day
        Massachusetts and there followed expropriation of more than three
        quarters of the native land and hunting grounds.
        The ruthless adventurers of Spain, the conquistadores like Pizarro
        and Cortés were no better with their genocide of the Aztecs.
        Added to the misery of slavery, murder and rape, we left a legacy of
        diseases such as smallpox, influenza
        and measles.
        A prime example of man's inhumanity to man.
        I tell you Bernie, we Europeans are a nasty lot of characters and I'm
        almost ashamed to admit to my lineage.
        Thanks for sharing

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "rede2rollbaby"
        <rede2rollbaby@...> wrote:

        > Bit of local history...
        >
        > North of Mackay, Queensland, near the Bruce Highway some fourteen
        > miles from that city lies a low mountain, scene of a massacre of
        > tribal natives by the native police. The area surrounding this
        > mountain is known as "The Leap". The mountain, long ago known as
        > Mount Mandarana, is now The Leap Mountain. Outside the hotel in the
        > small valley below this mountain stands a statue of a native woman…
        >

        > "Kohawa, Woman Of The Leap."
        >

        > We scale you Mandarana, high upon your rocky summit,
        > we are stealthy, the eagles stir not in their nest.
        > Dawn will see dispersal, and vile murder on your crest,
        > genocide, dusky brother upon brother.
        > Mandarana, lowly mountain, where all spirits cannot rest.
        >

        > Do you hear us tribal brothers, all we turncoat renegades,
        > we are coming, human blood hounds of the law.
        > Fugitives, fear our arrival, we are not brothers as before,
        > we mercenaries, with blood upon our hands.
        > Warriors in exile, the white man's paid assassins evermore.
        >

        > We avengers are amongst you, and blood lust overtakes,
        > our carbines firing, death blood on wielded stocks,
        > Fugitives, you cannot flee, all avenues the carnage blocks...
        > genocide, all save two slaughtered on the spot,
        > Kohawa, child held to her breast, lone high upon the rocks.
        >

        > You stand Mount Mandarana, grey cliff facing to one side,
        > we are coming, dusky Kohawa, there can be no escape,
        > Dark sister, this is dispersal, a term for massacre and rape.
        > Kohawa, we watch you leap toward oblivion...
        > below, beyond the rock face, there lies your bloodied shape.
        >

        > There midst lantana, one survivor, the dusky orphaned waif,
        > fate, and the white man, may allow her to survive.
        > You care not Mandarana, who does perish, who might thrive.
        > You remain unchanged, lowly mountain,
        > mourn not Kohawa, nor dead victims, care not for ones alive.
        >
        > ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva.

      • tdl4games
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009

          Do not judge from hindsight to harshly.

          Native Americans did not leave in peaceful harmony before the evil Europeans arrived.

          I am not excusing their actions either.

          The Mongols devastated the eastern middle east so completely that Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and the surrounding countries have never really recovered. Huge areas of Islamic Central Asia  and north-east Iran were seriously depopulated.  Every city or town that refused surrender and resisted the Mongols was subject to destruction.

          The Aztecs use to force smaller tribes to attack them to have their war stay in practice.

          Native North Americans were skilled in the arts of war and practiced it well.

          Strong coastal tribes in Africa would go inland and capture and sell weaker tribes into slavery to Europeans.

          In the past twenty years how many horrors have come from the Hutu and Tutsi conflicts.

          Technically isn't Abraham father to both Issac ans Ishmael.

          The Europeans and their descendants tend to display and lament past.

          Langley

          Son of Earl, Son of William, Son of Reeze, Son of David....  Straight back to a litle town in England.

          Porud to be 'dweller in the long wood'.

          <rede2rollbaby@ ...> wrote:

          > Bit of local history...
          >
          > North of Mackay, Queensland, near the Bruce Highway some fourteen
          > miles from that city lies a low mountain, scene of a massacre of
          > tribal natives by the native police. The area surrounding this
          > mountain is known as "The Leap". The mountain, long ago known as
          > Mount Mandarana, is now The Leap Mountain. Outside the hotel in the
          > small valley below this mountain stands a statue of a native woman…
          >

          > "Kohawa, Woman Of The Leap."
          >

          > We scale you Mandarana, high upon your
          rocky summit,
          > we are stealthy, the eagles stir not in their nest.
          > Dawn will see dispersal, and vile murder on your crest,
          > genocide, dusky brother upon brother.
          > Mandarana, lowly mountain, where all spirits cannot rest.
          >

          > Do you hear us tribal brothers, all we turncoat renegades,
          > we are coming, human blood hounds of the law.
          > Fugitives, fear our arrival, we are not brothers as before,
          > we mercenaries, with blood upon our hands.
          > Warriors in exile, the white man's paid assassins evermore.
          >

          > We avengers are amongst you, and blood lust overtakes,
          > our carbines firing, death blood on wielded stocks,
          > Fugitives, you cannot flee, all avenues the carnage blocks...
          > genocide, all save two slaughtered on the spot,
          > Kohawa, child held to her breast, lone high upon the rocks.
          >

          > You stand Mount Mandarana,
          grey cliff facing to one side,
          > we are coming, dusky Kohawa, there can be no escape,
          > Dark sister, this is dispersal, a term for massacre and rape.
          > Kohawa, we watch you leap toward oblivion...
          > below, beyond the rock face, there lies your bloodied shape.
          >

          > There midst lantana, one survivor, the dusky orphaned waif,
          > fate, and the white man, may allow her to survive.
          > You care not Mandarana, who does perish, who might thrive.
          > You remain unchanged, lowly mountain,
          > mourn not Kohawa, nor dead victims, care not for ones alive.
          >
          > ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva.

        • albiaicehouse
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
            Wings,

            Admittedly there was plenty of horrible racist subjugation, slaughter
            and destruction of the American indigenous peoples over the last five
            centuries. Also, there have been grave failures to adhere to treaties.

            But numerically the gravest decimation of American indigenous people
            was the result of the indigenous people's immune systems being
            unprepared for the European diseases, their being turned one upon the
            other by the political machinations of European settlers, and the pure
            numbers of excess population that the indigenous people had no way of
            imagining, let alone stopping.

            The middle one is fascinating while deplorable in that from the
            Pilgrims onward, the indigenous people, until very late, didn't see
            the Europeans as the ones to fear. In the Pilgrim's area for
            instance, the local tribe, part of the Wampanoags, had been decimated
            by disease, probably brought about by the first contact with European
            fur traders and early explorers. Massasoit of the Wampanoags signed a
            peace treaty with the Pilgrims so that he'd have an ally against the
            Narragansett people.

            One tribe after another made deals with the Europeans against other
            tribes. The Europeans relied heavily on an ever shifting but
            relentless and deadly game of divide and conquer.

            Not as easy to make a poem about, but more reflective of the realities.
            At least, this the prevalent view of the experts now, and their
            evidence is strong.

            Them's that have the power, make the rules?

            Rod

            aka albi
            www.geocities.com/neocoda

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
              Hi tdl
              I hear what you say but nevertheless we cannot help but
              live with the consequences of the sins of our fathers.
              We live in hope that the majority will make atonement for our fathers
              mistakes and realise, before Armageddon, that we are all brothers and
              sisters and we differ only in skin colour and language.
              Appreciate your input

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
                Hi Rod
                Re. "Thems that have the power make the rules"

                Man is forever looking for ways to break the rules of those who would
                be his masters.
                Take marriage as an example. It is fast going out of fashion and many
                many children these days are born outside of wedlock.
                We should not label those innocent children illegitimate for it is
                their parents who are illegitimate by causing conception outside of
                marriage.
                If those with the power make rules with which we disagree, it is
                our inalienable right to challenge those laws by whatever means,
                peaceful or othwerwise,at our disposal.

                Laws were made to be broken. How else would the lawyers survive?

                as always

                Wings

                --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, albiaicehouse <no_reply@...>