Nambucca Man (for Bernard)

  • Manfred
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      I have a good Mate who I watched slip towards his own self-destruction
      the last five years. We hooked up again a couple of months back. This
      is his story.

      PS. it's NOT 'our' Bernard ... :o)

      (crits welcome)
      Nambucca Man (for Bernard)
      (c)2008 - Manfred Vijars

      Yarndi - Pot

      Child of Gumbayngirr (Nambucca Man)
      returned to his country, the home of his clan.
      Tormented by his depression and pain
      left Yarndi behind to find purpose again.

      Yarndi oh Yarndi how you would beguile
      and captivate Son of Nambucca a while,
      by day chasing bird-songs and colours; then seek
      the night-time where curlews and possums would speak.

      Black Dog of depression would snap then take hold
      and savagely drag him to worlds dark and cold.
      No warming camp-fires or old ones to guide
      this child of Gumbayngirr to regain his pride.

      Oh Mother - Earth Mother will your dust restore
      your child of Gumbayngirr and strengthen his Lore?
      Restore him his Totem please, don't let him grope.
      Send him to his roots for his healing and hope.

      So Bernard returned to his country again
      discharging his sorrow unloading his pain.
      Elders there guiding and helping him grow;
      discovered his pride in the camp-fire's glow.

      Strength from Red Dust and you're finally free.
      Your Mother, your Totem they both would agree -
      you stand proud as a man and more noble by far
      when you know WHERE you're from and you know WHO you are.
      ---