Re: Designer Babies (37921 Suaianne)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2009
      Dear Suzi
      I agree with you wholeheartedly about experimentation causing
      suffering to animals although I believe not all experiments cause
      cruelty and in many cases human volunteers are used. I once
      volunteered myself to a laboratory investigating cures for the common
      cold but I was rejected as unsuitable.
      I remember all too well the tales of the 'Angel of Death', that
      infamous doctor Mengele of Auschwitz.

      Re: "Medical curiosity is not sufficient reason to harm animals"
      I agree and I am firmly against vivisection but I'm fairly sure every
      care is taken by the staff of these establishments to prevent cruelty
      amounting to torture.The labs in UK are closely monitored by the
      animal rights groups.
      In my original post on this subject I was more concerned with people
      complaining of scientists playing God and the case I quoted had
      nothing to do with any harmful experiments to either animals or humans
      but was a simple case of genetic engineering.
      I have witnessed geckos on the walls of rooms in Malta being held by
      their tail by other lizards and pulling away, leaving that appendage
      to fall to the floor, after which I was told they can grow another.
      A niece and a nephew of mine have both lost the lower parts of one of
      their legs due to accidents. They have been fitted with prosthetic
      limbs but wouldn't it be great if cloned legs were available to make
      them whole again or like the gecko they could re-grow their own lower
      legs.

      As ever

      Wings.
      I am supremely confident the ingenuity of man will eventually make an
      end to all disease and suffering.

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
      <suzianne411@...> wrote:

      > Dear Wings...I gave this a lot of thought before deciding to reply.
      > On the majority of points you discussed, I concur. However, when
      you
      > pose the question, "Why, oh why must every advance in medicine by
      > plagued with opposition from the ethical brigade?" my mind conjures
      > up the horror stories of medical experimentations that took place
      > during the Third Reich. There are limits to what ethical and moral
      > beings can and should do in the name of medical science. I also
      have
      > problems with much of the testing done on dogs, monkeys, rabits and
      > even rats and mice. I am not saying that the use of animals in
      > research should be banned entirely, but I would hope that high
      > ethical standards would be employed before any creature is exposed
      > pain and suffering. There would have to be a good case made to me
      > that no other method could produce the desired results. Medical
      > curiosity is not sufficient reason to harm animals. When it comes
      > human life, the hypocratic oath should be the guide..."First, do no
      > harm."
      >
      > Just my two cents worth,
      >
      > Suzianne
      >

      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Carol and Rod
      > > It is an unwritten rule that two subject matters should not be
      > > discussed at t2w: Politics and religion, because both of these
      are
      > > the major causes of all the unrest in this world. However I trust
      > you
      > > will allow me to have one more post on the `designer baby'
      project.

      > > I am forced to agree with many of the points my two good friends
      > have
      > > raised and I think Rod has hit the nail on the head with: "God
      gave
      > > us the grey(gray) matter between our ears to use"
      > > Look at the phenomenal advances made by man in our own short
      > lifetime.
      > > In medicine, take as an example that dreaded complaint of Polio.
      > > Until Jonas Salik in 1952 and Albert Sabin in 1962 there were
      > > hundreds of thousands of sufferers worldwide, whereas now there
      are
      > > fewer than one thousand.
      > > One wonders what difference a cure would have made to that four
      > times
      > > elected great American, FDR crippled from the waist down, if
      only
      > > Salik or Sabin had discovered the vaccine earlier.
      > > Whatever your politics you have to give credit where it's due.
      This
      > > unique Democrat shook America out of the depression after the
      Wall
      > > Street crash by cutting the pay of everyone who worked for the
      > > government and the armed services by 15% and governmental
      spending
      > by
      > > 25%. He took men and women from the soup kitchen queues and gave
      > them
      > > hope, working at the Tennessee Valley Development. However, his
      > > greatest act for humanity was coming to the aid of Britain and
      her
      > > allies in WW2. Had he not been able to persuade his countrymen to
      > > join the fight against the Nazis, I may now be writing this in
      > German
      > > or (perish the thought) Japanese.
      > > Why, oh why must every advance in medicine by plagued with
      > opposition
      > > from the ethical brigade?
      > > Let's use that God-given grey matter for the benefit of all.
      > > Nothing is impossible to an inventive mind and yet in the New
      York