Re: [ticket2write] Tritina - Challenge

  • Richard Bates
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2008
      Veeeery nice Susan!

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Susan Donahue <suzianne411@...>
      To: ticket2write@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 9:28:22 AM
      Subject: [ticket2write] Tritina - Challenge

      CHICAGO NIGHTS

      City lights reflect neon streets where late
      Night rain cannot cool the heat of summer,
      But pools in reds, yellows and brilliant blues.

      Steam clings to the pavement where jazz and blues,
      Blend with Latin percussion, drumming late
      Into the dark, moonless heart of summer.

      The flavor of Mississippi summers,
      And the soulful pain of Chicago blues
      Stir the night when it is never too late.

      The big city has the late summer blues

      (Susan Donahue 2008)

      Dear t2w writers and poets:

      This was my first try at a tritina, a poetic form that is more or
      less a half-sestina in which the endwords of the first stanza are
      repeated in different order in the next two stanzas and strung
      together as the final three words of the 10th line.

      The following poem by Gloria Carpenter explains the form well. Why
      not have a go at it?

      ENDWORDS:

      A.. B.. C...
      C.. A.. B...
      B.. C.. A...
      A,B,C...

      The meter is not specified but is usualy tetrameter or pentameter.
      Tritina

      A ten line poem we'll write, just you and I
      But let's call it Tritina, shall we, love?
      Connecting lines together...fun with you!

      Could we take turns so I could share with you?
      Although it might be hard, for sometimes I
      Begin with words you might not like or love.

      But we could try, okay, for I would love
      Co-ordinating all the lines with you
      At last, our own creation, you and I.

      It ends, Tritina says, with I love you.