Re: COWS (Bernard and David 36355 Flies)

  • David L. Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 8:52 AM
      Hi, Wings,

      An overabundance of flies was one of the ten plagues that God visited
      upon the Egyptians in the book of Exodus, and apparently they have
      been allowed to plague us ever since. But they have come up with a
      marvelous new invention they call "repellent", which is sometimes
      quite effective. Of course, cows cannot manage to operate the spray
      button, and they have a terribly difficult time otherwise applying
      it, but being the forgiving creatures that they are, they have
      universally decided not to file discrimination charges based on our
      oversight of their inability to take advantage of our technology. And
      that is so no-bull of them.

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@...> wrote:

      > Hi Bernie & David
      > Cattle in UK and I expect Worlwide are tormented by the dreaded fly.
      > I've watched cows with full udders race around the field in an
      effort
      > to dislodge the pests.
      > Cornish farmers, when witnessing this, say: "She's got the wap"
      > That term is also used when an animal is `on heat' and irreverently
      > applied to a member of the fair sex who fancies a fellow when the
      sun
      > is up in Springtime.
      >
      > When we see film of Australians out in the open country on the
      news,
      > they more often than not are brushing flies from their face. In UK
      we
      > (I) call this action the Australian salute.
      >
      > Now I have not so far had the pleasure of visiting Oz but the place
      > remember where flies were an abomination, was Cairo before they
      built
      > their massive sewerage scheme. I dropped in there en-route for
      > Singapore and then on to Burma.
      > Blasted flies got me good and proper there. Gave me a dose of
      amoebic
      > dysentery which put me in hospital for a month. Didn't much care
      for
      > the treatment; massive great sulphur guanidine tablets every four
      > hours, day and night and enemas at 0800hrs which had to
      > be retained until 1600hrs.Never before or since have I wished time
      > to pass so quickly.
      >
      > Fleas, ants and most other insects I can abide, but flies have no
      use
      > on this earth other than to supply sustenance to those friendly
      > spiders.
      >
      > It's a pity Noah allowed the fly a passport.

      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "rede2rollbaby"
      > <rede2rollbaby@> wrote:
      > >
      > > G'day David,
      > > Bloody flies! This poem reminded me of
      seeing

      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 6:27 AM
        Hi David.
        Some while ago I kept pigs on a smallholding attached to my house at
        that time.
        Pigs also are pestered by flies but worse for them is the louse which
        feeds off their blood.
        I used to trickle mineral oil mixed with TVO over their backs(the
        pigs that is, not the lice) and those blood suckers took the hint and
        departed.The pigs always grunted their appreciation.
        Pity we can't do the same to a few humans we know.

        On the subject of cows; I once saw two in a field holding a bovine
        conversation.
        Dolly said to Daisy: "I was artificially inseminated this morning"
        "I don't believe you" said Daisy.
        "It's true;no bull" exclaimed Dolly.