Re: COWS

  • David L. Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2008
      Of course, you are right about anthropomorphism toward animals.

      But I had to find a less offensive way of stating that some people
      are real bastards.

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, albiaicehouse <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > David,
      >
      > How pastoral. How bucolic.
      >
      > How real.
      >
      > Yah, got me with the twist at the end.
      >
      > That and making me aware of the tendency to impose human standards
      on
      > the observed natural world.
      >
      > There is an article in the New York Times Science Section:
      >
      > Noble Eagles, Nasty Pigeons, Biased Humans
      > By NATALIE ANGIER
      > Published: April 29, 2008
      >
      > To quote one part:
      >
      > "Oh, we're all of us prone to a massive over-interpretation of the
      > things that we see," said Marc D. Hauser, professor of psychology
      and
      > evolutionary biology at Harvard University and author of "Moral
      > Minds." "I distinctly remember, when I first went to Amboseli
      National
      > Park to study vervet monkeys, how quickly I developed strong
      feelings
      > about the personalities of the monkeys — here were the great and
      brave
      > ones, there were the lame ones that hid in the bushes and acted
      pathetic."

      > The poor flies!
      >
      > Rod
      > aka albi
      >
      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Rosenthal"
      > <sleeping_doggie@> wrote:
      > >
      > > COWS
      > >
      > > Once upon an evening sultry,
      > > In the south of western Broward,
      > > Where the cows were calmly grazing,
      > > Not a single soul disturbing,
      > > Chewing cud and ruminating,
      > > Blowing flatus in the evening;
      > > Then swarmed flies, so loudly buzzing,
      > > Pestering the silent bovines,
      > > Tails a-swishing, ears a-twitching,
      > > Till no longer calm and tranquil,
      > > Till gone mad they all stampeded,
      > > But to no avail they hurried,
      > > Flies around them, riding on them,
      > > Sucking blood and eggs a-laying,
      > > In the punctures in the rawhide,
      > > Tickling in their ears and nostrils,
      > > Driving bulls and cows and heifers
      > > To the limit of their spirits'
      > > Toleration of the torture.
      > > Down into the swamp they stumbled,
      > > Down into the deepest water,
      > > All submerged except their nostrils,
      > > All in desperation groaning,
      > > Flies amassing in their nostrils,
      > > Defecating in the mucus,
      > > Copulating on the membrane,
      > > Mocking bovine beneficence,
      > > Scoffing at their helpless suff'ring.
      > > What to do for these poor creatures,
      > > How to give them aid and succor,
      > > Let them live in peace until they
      > > Must be taken to the slaughter?
      > > Such is life in western Broward,
      > > Where the flies come in all sizes,
      > > Where they harass ev'ry species,
      > > Where the buzzing never ceases,
      > > Suff'ring endlessly increases.
      > > Are the cattle filled with hatred
      > > For the evil biting insects
      > > That make their short lives so desp'rate,
      > > Fill their days and nights with sighing?
      > > Not the way that you'd imagine -
      > > They know the flies, too, are dying.
      > >
      > > by David L. Rosenthal
      > >
      > > 1996

    • David L. Rosenthal
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2008
        Hi, Wings,

        An overabundance of flies was one of the ten plagues that God visited
        upon the Egyptians in the book of Exodus, and apparently they have
        been allowed to plague us ever since. But they have come up with a
        marvelous new invention they call "repellent", which is sometimes
        quite effective. Of course, cows cannot manage to operate the spray
        button, and they have a terribly difficult time otherwise applying
        it, but being the forgiving creatures that they are, they have
        universally decided not to file discrimination charges based on our
        oversight of their inability to take advantage of our technology. And
        that is so no-bull of them.

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bernie & David
        > Cattle in UK and I expect Worlwide are tormented by the dreaded fly.
        > I've watched cows with full udders race around the field in an
        effort
        > to dislodge the pests.
        > Cornish farmers, when witnessing this, say: "She's got the wap"
        > That term is also used when an animal is `on heat' and irreverently
        > applied to a member of the fair sex who fancies a fellow when the
        sun
        > is up in Springtime.
        >
        > When we see film of Australians out in the open country on the
        news,
        > they more often than not are brushing flies from their face. In UK
        we
        > (I) call this action the Australian salute.
        >
        > Now I have not so far had the pleasure of visiting Oz but the place
        > remember where flies were an abomination, was Cairo before they
        built
        > their massive sewerage scheme. I dropped in there en-route for
        > Singapore and then on to Burma.
        > Blasted flies got me good and proper there. Gave me a dose of
        amoebic
        > dysentery which put me in hospital for a month. Didn't much care
        for
        > the treatment; massive great sulphur guanidine tablets every four
        > hours, day and night and enemas at 0800hrs which had to
        > be retained until 1600hrs.Never before or since have I wished time
        > to pass so quickly.
        >
        > Fleas, ants and most other insects I can abide, but flies have no
        use
        > on this earth other than to supply sustenance to those friendly
        > spiders.
        >
        > It's a pity Noah allowed the fly a passport.

        > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "rede2rollbaby"
        > <rede2rollbaby@> wrote:
        > >
        > > G'day David,
        > > Bloody flies! This poem reminded me of
        seeing

        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2008
          Hi David.
          Some while ago I kept pigs on a smallholding attached to my house at
          that time.
          Pigs also are pestered by flies but worse for them is the louse which
          feeds off their blood.
          I used to trickle mineral oil mixed with TVO over their backs(the
          pigs that is, not the lice) and those blood suckers took the hint and
          departed.The pigs always grunted their appreciation.
          Pity we can't do the same to a few humans we know.

          On the subject of cows; I once saw two in a field holding a bovine
          conversation.
          Dolly said to Daisy: "I was artificially inseminated this morning"
          "I don't believe you" said Daisy.
          "It's true;no bull" exclaimed Dolly.