Re: Fw: Nebraska - Tuesdays with Writers for MAY (Suzianne36338))

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Dear Suzi
      Re. "declare independence" for Cornwall. This dates back to 1337 when
      the Black Prince reached the age of 21yrs he established, as the Duke
      of Cornwall, that Cornwall was not legally a part of England and
      created the Cornish Stannary parliament.

      Mebyon Kernow , also known as the Duchy of Cornwall was founded in
      1951 and is a full member of the European Free Alliance as is Plaid
      Cymru of Wales.

      Re. "Charge a toll" Charge a toll? Good heavens young lady, you
      surely don't think the Cornish would be backward in that department.
      Built in 1959 at a cost of £1.5 million (loose change these days) and
      opened in 1961 there are many toll booths on the bridge. Here's the
      good part: You can cross the bridge from Devon to Cornwall free of
      charge, but if you want to get out again you have to pay
      £1 for a twin axle vehicle under 3.5 tonnes, which is based on the
      weight of an average car.
      They have now inaugurated an electronic tagging system which, with a
      tag in the car windscreen, at a cost of £20, registers each crossing
      and allows a 50% discount.

      The Tamar bridge carries the A38 trunk road from Plymouth on the
      Devon side to Saltash in Cornwall on the other side. On a busy
      weekend it is used by 50,000 vehicles and the yearly count is 16
      million.
      Until the Humber bridge was erected in 1981,it was
      the longest suspension bridge in UK with 335 metres between the
      towers and including the side spans and approach is 642 metres.
      Of course this pales into insignificance against the Akashi-Kaikyo
      of Japan which measures 1991 metres or the Golden Gate at 1280 metres.

      Incidentally, our fellow Celts in the land of the Red Dragon charge
      people to go over the Severn bridge into Wales. You are let out free
      of charge but you must take heed of the notice in large letters on
      the approach to the bridge which reads:
      "Keep Wales tidy, take your rubbish back to England".

      There you go, another load of useless info for you to digest.

      As ever

      Wings
      Ps. Incidentally, in the quiet of the winter period, less the
      emmetts, the Cornish population is around 400,000 but growing rapidly
      as the English realise the advantages of the Cornish way of life.

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
      <suzianne411@...> wrote:

      > Dear Wings,
      >
      > Maybe it is about time to declare independence and set up a toll
      > booth on the bridge over the Tamar River.
      >
      > Emmetts? Good grief! LOL
      >
      > Suzianne
      >
      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Suzi
      > > When I read the name Edgar Clemens, I wondered if he was any
      > relation
      > > to that wonderful writer of stories, Samuel Clemens (aka Mark
      Twain)
      > > I was to be disappointed but this search led me to
      > > www.cowboypoetry.com which has somw great western characters'
      > photos.
      > > This in turn led me to the place of Emmett, Idaho.
      > > Now that may be a coincidence to slot in with your recent piece
      on
      > > ants. Why? I'll tell you.
      > > Emmetts to the Cornish is a term used for the summer visitors to
      > this
      > > county and you would understand why if, like me, you flew in your
      > > little plane above the roads down here.Nose to tail they be maid
      > > like a string of ants on their way to the nest.
      > > However, unlike ants they are not very tolerant with their fellow
      > > travellers and often bump into each other in their haste to get
      > > the front of the queue.
      > >
      > > As ever
      > >
      > > Wings
      > >

      > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Susan Donahue <suzianne411@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Tuesdays with Writers
      > > > at the South Mill
      > > > 48th & Prescott, Lincoln
      > > > Coming on May 6th, 7 pm:
      > > > A TWO PART READING!
      > > >
      > > > first, the Write Stuff, a Lincoln-area writers' group:
      > > > The Write Stuff Writers are Doing it Again!
      > > >
      > > > reading tonight are:
      > > > Amy Plettner
      > > > Marilyn Dorf
      > > > Anna Jamrog
      > > > Linda Stringham
      > > > Deb Walz
      > > > Suzanne Yelkin
      > > > Eileen Durgin-Clinchard
      > > >
      > > > Enjoy old friends and new with poetry!
      > > >
      > > > and, secondly, Edgar Clemens, Old West poet and historian.
      > > >
      > > > Edgar, a retired University animal science professor, performs
      > > his "cowboy" poetry to across Nebraska, from Brownville, to
      > > Valentine, and Chadron, and into Wyoming. "I started writing
      poetry
      > > after I went to a cowboy poetry reading in Valentine," Clemens
      > > said. "I went to a poetry workshop at Gere Library, and Rex
      Walton

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008

        See what I mean? You know everything worth knowing, and then some.

        Did you know that the Cornishmen in America played a part in the
        preserving our Union in the 1860's? There were lead mines in and
        around Galena, Illinois, a lovely town U.S. Grant called home before
        he went off to war. The Cornishmen who mined the lead provided what
        was needed to manufacture ammunition that was used by Grant and the
        other Federal generals to win the war between the states.

        Just another bit of trivia from this side of the pond.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2008
          Dear Suzi
          You are sure to know this, but I'm going to tell you anyway.
          Galena is a metallic grey mineral containing lead and sulphur.
          PbS, (Lead sulphide) is the most common mineral on this planet.

          I wonder if I should sue your government on behalf of those
          Cornish miners for the effects of lead poisoning.
          Forebears of my late wife's father took their picks and shovels over
          to the US so perhaps a trace of galena got into her genes
          and could become a problem for my children.
          Can you recommend a good lawyer.

          As ever

          Wings